Chapter 42: Etin's On A Revenge Streak

Start from the beginning

    Norah set down the solution, examining the wound as Nevaeha panted, deep and hard. Beads of sweat collected on her skin.

    There was still more dirt, stuck deep. Norah poured again, squeezing the bottle harder so the stream pushed it out.

    Nevaeha grit her teeth, exhaling sharply.

    Norah made it quick and hard. She set down the bottle again, careful to keep her touch light and soft as she studied the wound again. All sharp and clean lines.

    She let Nevaeha breathe for a moment.

    "Do you want me to leave the group?" Nevaeha murmured, her voice as shrunken and meek as she looked curled into the wall.

    Norah's expression didn't change. "Why would you do that?"

    She paused. "Because I got you killed."

    "It's not the first time I've died," Norah replied. Nevaeha gave her a pondering look, like she wasn't sure if Norah was messing with her or not. Norah sighed, saying, "Dagen brought me back."   

    "I guess he has his uses."

    Norah stopped, staring into the bloodied wound. She didn't smile, but her expression lost its harshness. "Maybe one or two."

    "You're not mad?"

    "Did you see that thing?" Norah said. "Those Echos were created by a god, they're not easy to kill." She inhaled, shoulders raising. "If I wasn't so awesome, I wouldn't have stood a chance either."

    Nevaeha stared at her, long and hard. Her lips thinned into a fine line, her voice deadpanned. "Thanks."

    "You're welcome," Norah replied. "I'm here all week—unless you get me killed again."

    Nevaeha watched her like she wasn't sure what to make of her. And Norah understood that while she crouched here, she was letting Nevaeha see a side of her that very few people got to. And maybe it was Etin or the joke about Dagen, but Norah found herself thawing.

    Gently, Norah ran her hand over the wound, starting from the calf up. Gold puddled in her palm, leaving a trail of a pale scar behind.

    She stood. "Your leg's all fixed. Get dressed and come downstairs."

-------------------------------

    "I am not surprised to hear Etin is aware of my presence," Vaella told them. "Though more so in knowing he does nothing."

    Norah sat in her chair, legs crossed as she considered the goddess towering in her room. "He says destroying the world destroys everything—there's no point. But I did mention the other gods coming here and he didn't like that."

    She gazed out across the table, finding her team splayed around the room. Dagen lounged in a chair, one leg thrown lazily over the armrest. He studied the map his brother sat on top of, his eyes a thousand miles away as he flipped a long dagger in his hand.

    Eoin sat on the table, legs folded. He ran his tiny, pale fingers up the coast, tracing the black lines Dagen had scribbled to represent Etin.

    "And the weapon he mentioned." Norah turned to Vaella who was already watching her. "Do you know what it is? Do you think it'll kill a lesser god?"

    "Weapons are only as powerful as the God who created them."

    "So, Etin," Norah mused darkly, but there was no amusement within her. "The Great Deceiver thought I wouldn't ask you about this? He thinks I'm either incredibly devious or a complete moron."