Leanne

Dinner flew by, filled by light conversation and teasing. I learned that Bet-Khar was not only extremely talented but also adventurous and quite adaptable. Cet-Khar is closer to him in age and equally adventurous. He told me his favorite childhood stories and the troubles they would get themselves into.

He described how Zahraun would always look out for the younger brothers, often covering up or taking the blame when things went seriously wrong. If I understood correctly, Bal-Khan was a type of mediator, and the most responsible of the five brothers growing up. Celtic however, didn't seem to have been in the picture very often, or perhaps there are things Bet-Khar is not comfortable sharing.

Despite all my concerns, I find it easy to spend time with Bet-Khar. I can be my natural self with him - perhaps because I don't have to pretend to like him or have composure in his presence. He knows my situation, my weaknesses, and he doesn't expect me to be anything but afraid, tired, sad, and lonely - all of which I genuinely am.

I learned that as well as their spoken language, the Yautja also have a range of identifiable body language that is used to portray emotions. Although the range of emotion is far more scarce compared to humans, the Yautja do have a few stronger emotions.

When Bet-Khar explained that rapid mandible clicking meant deep amusement or laughing, I was speechless. I didn't know they'd laughed, or even had a sense of humor. I've seen him doing that expression before but I was terrified. Actually, most of the body languages I've seen the Yautja displaying so far are absolutely terrifying.

After dinner, we clean our teeth with a strange looking device, and Bet-Khar strides toward the sleeping platform, which is much larger than the one on his pod. I trail after him.

"We will sleep now," he says in a gruff voice.

"Did you design these quarters?" I ask.

"Yes."

"You are extremely talented! I envy you."

Bet-Khar look around the room, pretending he didn't hear me - a sign of "Yautja discomfort" I've seen on him before.  Strangely enough, his awkward reactions to my compliments warm my heart.

He stalks across the room to a chest-like furniture imbedded in the wall. He rummage through the drawer and pulls out a large fur. Then he runs his gaze over my body clinically before returning to the drawer and grabbing another fur.  He strides back and throws the furs on top of the sleeping platform.

"Come, these furs will keep you warm" he says, pointing to the furs and narrowing his eyes at me.

"What?" I ask innocently.

"No drooling!"

"I know, I know... I can't believe you are still hanging this over my head!"

He ignores me, gesturing for me to follow him under the covers. He removes the towel from around his waist and I'm treated to the same view from the first night we shared his bed, a naked Bet-Khar angrily urging me to get under his furs. It takes every drop of my self-control not to lower my gaze to where the towel was wrapped around his hips a second ago. I sigh... this whole situation is wrong in so many levels, I can't even begin.

I crawl into bed, wearing a fresh tunic he gave me after our shower together. My eyes immediately get heavy-lidded as I pull the furs over my body. Unfortunately, the temperature seem to have dropped by several degrees because I am shivering. He stares at me for one long moment. Finally, he mutters something I can't comprehend and turns to me, "Do you need warmth?"

I shrugged, not sure what he meant, but also too tired to ask.

Interpreting that as "yes", he wraps one arm around my body and bring me toward him. I squirm with confusion and glance at him but he pulls me even tighter against his chest. He's not looking at me, so I reach out, placing my cold hand on his face. He turns his head, gazing down at me, "Are you going to do this kess again?"

His question surprises me, "Uh... do you want me to?" I ask, unsure of what he wants.

He grimaced, "I rather not."

I scowl at him, removing my hand and placing some space between us. "I wasn't planning on kissing you. I was being affectionate, that's all".

Relief flashes across his face. I guess this is how he rolls?! He caressed me all he wanted but the thought of being kissed  makes him grimace? I can't keep up with his recent mood swings, I swear.

I don't protest when he tighten his hold around my body and pull me against him again, using his other hand to grab my wrist and place it over his chest. I am too tired to protest, and besides, he is really warm. If this is how he wants to sleep, fine! I can't however, guarantee that I won't drool on him on this position. I guess we will cross that bridge when we get there.

A persistent beeping noise woke me up sometime in the middle of the night. Pulling the furs up to my chest, I warily survey the room to find Bet-Khar getting dressed in a hurry.

"Is everything ok?" I ask, confused.

The look on Bet-Khar's face tells me that something really bad has happened, "I'm needed at Sick-Bay."

"What happened?"

"Zahraun is severely injured. Celtic... he needs help with some- repairs."

The way he says it makes me think that he is hiding something dreadful. I jump out of bed without thinking, "I am coming with you."

He looks at me with a confused expression of his own and then shakes his head, "Rest, I will come for you when I am done."

"This is all my fault. Zahraun stayed behind because of me. I must see him... let me help, please." I plead frantically.

Bet-Khar sigh and reluctantly nod once.

I hurry down the corridor after him as fast as I can, heart pounding in my chest. What have I done? I may have sacrificed one person to save a larger group of people, but I had no right to make that choice. No one has the right to decide who lives or dies. I didn't simply sacrifice one person, I may have jeopardized the future of a whole planet. Zahraun was meant to rule his people. He was not meant to be taken before his time.

Some mistakes have greater consequences than others. If Zahraun dies as a result of my mistake, this will be the one thing that defines me for the rest of my life.