Part 2: The Key - Chapter 2

"Alright then, child," the ancient Lord began after they had taken their seats. "You've been taught that souls don't die and the difference between mortals, the undead, and gods, yes?"

"Uhh, yes, Uncle. A mortal's soul is merely contained in its physical shell. Once the shell dies, the soul is released back into the Flow. The undead are tethered souls. The soul will keep coming back to where it's tethered. The chain can be broken and the connection severed but the soul remains intact, save for the trauma of having a part of it disconnected, and returns into the Flow. Us gods are even more special in that the connection can never be broken," the young god answered as a nagging feeling telling him to stop listening and just run away tugged at the back of his mind.

The ancient Lord nodded. "Hm, indeed. Quite so." He inclined his head towards the younger god. "That raises the question, doesn't it, on how you are to accomplish your mission?"

The young god blinked and tilted his head in confusion. "I assumed it meant to temporarily render her dead and disable her army while she recovers."

"Well, then. Why are we having this lecture if that's all you have to do?"

The young god paused as a vaguely horrifying realization started forming in his mind. "I-I don't know." His lips stretched into a stiff smile and he gave a tense shrug. He felt stupid grinning like an idiot in front of his Uncle but he didn't know what else to do. "I thought maybe you have some preference or special instruction on how it's to be done." His tone rose at the end like he was asking a question but he really wasn't. His Uncle probably knew that too.

"You're smarter than this, boy," the ancient Lord sighed. "You don't need to feign ignorance with me. None of your siblings are here."

The young god gulped as he tried to suppress the urge to run away. He frantically shook his head and said, "I-I'm not feigning ignorance, Uncle. I really don't know."

"Think, boy. Think!" the ancient Lord urged.

"I don't-- I'm not-- I..." He started in bewilderment as the realization fully crystallized in his mind and he felt its heavy weight. "I can't..." Not to her.

"Can't or won't?" the ancient Lord asked quietly.

"Both," the young god managed to gasp out as he breathed heavily. His mind was swirling and he couldn't tell if it was hard to think or if he was stopping himself from thinking anymore. He'd actually rather not think of anything at the moment.

"Deep breathes, boy. I can understand your apprehension. Just calm down. We'll take this slowly," the ancient Lord said patiently as the young god tried to ground and center himself.

"U-Uncle, I really think this is too much for me," the young god said shakily as he tried to find his center.

"Yes, I know. It might be too early for you to know this but you eventually will anyway."

"Can't we just do this some other time then? Send someone else in my stead?" the young god pleaded as he sat on the floor trying to feel solid ground.

"No, child. The order has been given. I'm sure you know that your family will not tolerate you turning back now."

"No, but they don't have to know. Anyone can do this, right? Why not just send any of your trusted agents? In any case, I'll just take whatever punishment Father hands out to me," the young god begged as he finally resorted to lying down and whispering to the ground to stay solid and not swallow him.

"No, my boy. It has to be you."

'Why?" the young god whispered, turning around to face the floor. He squeezed his eyes shut and pressed his forehead against the solid ground.

"Because I believe in you. And I trust you. Do you understand?"

The young god didn't reply and pressed his hands on his ears. He shook his head and pressed his body on the floor, wishing to hide or escape deep beneath it.

The ancient Lord grabbed the young god's arm and turned him to face the ceiling. Placing his weight onto the younger god's body, he yanked one of the young god's hands away from his ear and took off his glasses. "Look at me, child," he said firmly, shaking the young god a little.

The young god kept his eyes closed and shook his head. He heard the ancient Lord place his glasses on the floor and whimpered as his shirt was grabbed.

The ancient Lord moved back, pulling the younger god to a sitting position, and held his face from under the jaw while keeping a firm grip on his wrist. "Open your eyes, boy! Look at me!" he commanded.

No! Not those eyes again! The young god panicked and violently thrashed upon hearing the command, making the ancient Lord lose his grip. With both arms free, he pushed the ancient Lord and retreated until his back hit a wall. Both gods sat on the floor panting, one of them stared at the other while the other stared at the floor in front of him.

"Please, Uncle," the young god said in a strained, barely audible voice like he was afraid to break the silence that had settled in the room. "Not those eyes again. I'll do what you want." I can't believe he'd bind me into doing this mission. Why would he go so far?

"I--" the ancient Lord began. He cleared his throat and spoke again in a gentler tone. "Yes. I see. I'm sorry, child. I got impatient and lost my temper. I won't let this happen again, okay?" He stood up and waited a few moments for a reply. Not receiving any, he picked up the young god's glasses and started heading towards where he sat. His steps faltered when the young god flinched at his approach but his hesitation quickly disappeared and he continued walking when the younger god didn't move any further. He handed the glasses back to its owner and offered a hand.

The young god took a few moments to accept his glasses back and wore them without looking at the ancient Lord. He continued to sit still and stare at the floor for a few more moments, his face growing more and more strained as he tried to find a way out of his hopeless situation. Unable to come up with any viable solution, he forced himself to look at the ancient Lord and accepted the hand offered to him.