Psycho Couple (warning)

Start from the beginning

Long, pale legs carry Cheryl towards the two girls, not stopping until she's stood right in front of them, towering over their terrified faces.

"N-No," Tina pathetically shakes her head, Ginger holding tightly onto her friend's shoulder.

Cheryl plasters a smile as sweet as sugar onto her face, looking down at the two with a certain sparkle in her eye as she says, "Better keep it that way. You wouldn't want to lose your pretty heads," she touches the tip of her index finger to Ginger's chin, almost as if she's examining it.

Both girl's eyes dramatically widen, the fear all but pooling out of them, as they scurry away back out into the hall, leaving Cheryl alone once again.

Veronica shows up at her apartment Thursday morning.

She has pastries and coffee in her hands when she does, and Cheryl lets her in out of boredom more than anything else.

"How are you doing?" Veronica asks her softly.

Both women are seated at Cheryl's small kitchen table, Cheryl's fingers pick at a half eaten muffin sitting on a napkin in front of her. Veronica's watching her cautiously over the rim of her coffee cup, and the look makes Cheryl want to throw hot coffee all over the brunette's face.

"I'm fine," she smiles instead.

Veronica takes a deep breath.

"It's alright if you aren't...it's only been three days, Cheryl. It takes time to grieve but you'll get through this."

Cheryl furrows her brows in sudden confusion.

"...Three days?" She slowly recites.

Veronica nods, "Three days since...you know...Heather."

Ah. Yes.

That.

Cheryl has to stop forgetting about that pesky little incident.

"Three days," Cheryl agrees with a nod, and then, "Sounds like old news to me."

Veronica sighs as she brings a hand to rest on her temple.

"I know you don't mean that, but we all cope in our own ways so I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear it."

Veronica then quickly jumps to what she deems more pressing issues, "Listen, I came by to let you know that Reggie hired a private investigator, it's a little...off the books though, if you know what I mean. She's coming to the club tonight to check things out and ask questions. Just, corporate with her, ok? And try not to let it seem like she's there as anyone else but another, normal customer."

Cheryl takes her time digesting the words.

"A private investigator?" She wonders.

Veronica reaches out to grab Cheryl's hand, and instinctually Cheryl presses her nails down into the fleshy palm of her free hand, the delicious sting distracting her from Veronica's clammy touch.

"The police still don't know," she carefully reveals, "and we'd like to keep it that way. Reggie is on thin enough ice as it is, something like this would surely shut us down. But that doesn't mean he doesn't want to get to the bottom of this, he cares about us girls, truly," Veronica tells her like the information is supposed to be some form of comfort to Cheryl.

He cares about you, Cheryl thinks.

No doubt in her mind does Reggie Mantle care about perfect, prissy, little Veronica Lodge. Cares about her body, cares about the way she feels against his rough, over eager man hands, cares about the private dances she performs for him after hours.