Chapter Twenty-Four: Don't Worry Baby

Sunday, 11:07 am

Ben Ford hit the air conditioning button on his dash, despite the fact that it was a brisk, albeit sunny morning here in Bumfuck, California. His pump session hadn't gone exactly the way he wanted it to, but that was no skin off his back. Tomorrow was another day and maybe tomorrow, he wouldn't have to deal with the idiot trainer who thought he knew what he was talking about.

With his sound system blasting through the song he'd left off on his playlist, he pulled out of his gym's parking lot and headed for the open road, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel to the beat.

Well, it's been building up inside of me for
Oh, I don't know how long
I don't know why, but I keep thinking
Something's bound to go wrong

Maybe, if he was lucky, his roommate would still be MIA for most of the day. He had a pretty good feeling he knew exactly where Josh was, and that was just fine. Better Josh than him. It's not like anybody would ever have anything to hold him on though - he was just the roommate who was never really around that much because of all the crazy-long hours he put in at Oswald Construction. It was a shit job, but someone had to do it, and those long hours had paid off in spades.

Job perks were definitely a thing with Elliott Oswald, and his dad's long-time business buddy never short-changed him, that was for sure.

In fact, now that he thought about it, maybe he could pay that redhead who worked at Red Woody a visit. What was her name again? Iris? Ivy? Ah... he snapped his fingers now that he had it.

Ivy.

Yeah. Those long, creamy white legs and even longer bright red hair would do just fine for the evening. At this point, there was no reason to bring Oswald into this. Although Oswald typically liked to be in the loop whenever he paid a visit to one of the girls, Oswald pretty much washed his hands of the whole thing, at least for now, thanks to those asshole bikers who thought they ran this town.

She makes me come alive
And makes me wanna drive

So he'd just have to arrange it on his own. No big deal. Nothing he couldn't handle, and nothing he hadn't done before.

Suddenly, sirens blared behind him, jolting him right out of his thoughts. What the fuck? He hadn't done anything wrong here. Didn't blow through a red light or a stop sign. Definitely wasn't speeding, at least not a lot. Pretty sure he didn't have a tail light out or anything like that, so where was the fucking fire?

Don't worry baby
Everything will turn out alright

But since he needed any added attention from the cops like he needed a hole in the head right now, he did his part in all this and dutifully pulled over to the side of the road. Not like he had much of a choice at this point. He barely had a chance to register the white van that just pulled over literally right in front of him when someone rapped their knuckles on his driver side window.

One look and he froze in his seat.