This isn't a movie

Start from the beginning

"Don't apologise for the last part." Dream lifted his head, wiping his face slowly.

"I still feel like I could have prevented it. George was drinking, I could have gotten between you two, I could-"

"You can't stop someone from saying what's on their mind. You can't change how he feels." Dream muttered.

"But that is not what he feels at all. He lashed out."

"He lashed out?" Dream scoffed, looking at Sapnap. "How did we even end up there? He brought up our breakup. And he said he doesn't want me in his life or Alana's."

"You said you don't want that either." Sapnap added.

"I did." Dream blinked, trying to remember what he said.

"Yes. You said it's his fault you don't want to see her." Sapnap said.

"Well..." Dream hesitated. "I mean, it is really hard to see her. To look at her and see so much of him. This little girl that he's raised and cared for for years, she's known him in the time I tried to forget him. It's like she's a symbol for why we aren't together."

"You look at Lana, and you see why you two broke up." Sapnap echoed.

"I see something George chose over me." Dream whispered. Sapnap gave him a look and grabbed his hand.

"You have to know that's not what happened."

"Well, he said he doesn't want me in his life. That's why he left me." Dream said, resting his jaw as anger came back. "He didn't love me enough to want to stay. Or to even explain."

"Dream, he loved you so much. He... he still.... look." Sapnap took a deep breath. "What George said today, that's not George. That's scared George. He was drunk, and scared, and guilty, and he lashed out. He wanted to have the last word. He wanted to hurt you because he was hurting the whole day. None of what he said was true."

"Yes, it is! Drunk words are sober thoughts, Sapnap."

"No, they aren't! Drunk words are stupid thoughts." Sapnap argued back.

"It doesn't change the fact he told Alana she was bothering me and not to see me. He doesn't want her near me. He doesn't want me in her life. He doesn't want me in his. I don't know why I'm upset about that, because it makes perfect sense. It's his life, it's his child. I'm just an ex-boyfriend that, as he said, keeps showing up everywhere. And you know what, it works out well for me too. Because seeing him and his kid around everywhere isn't good for me either. So he doesn't want me in his new life, and I don't want them in mine. It works out perfectly. Everyone is happy. Everyone can move on." Dream said.

"No. You aren't happy. He isn't happy. Hell, even Lana isn't happy. You guys are meant to be in each others lives, you've always said that." Sapnap said desperately.

Dream turned to him and ripped his hand out of his friend's grasp, staring at him with fury in his eyes.

"Meant to be in each others lives?" He repeated with a laugh. "Sapnap, this isn't a movie!" He yelled. "This is real fucking life. Not everything ends up happily ever after. Me and George are just two people who used to date, and that's that. This little fantasy you have going on, whatever plan you have in you and Karl's head, it's not going to happen. George doesn't love me, he has Alana. And honestly, I don't know if he ever did love me. And me? I've moved on. I don't care about him or that kid." Dream yelled. He was sure people outside the car could hear. "Get a grip, Sapnap. Love is dumb. No one is meant for each other."

Sapnap stared at his friend.

"I am so looking forward to your best man speech." Sapnap said in a monotone voice.