CHAPTER 44

I rush down the hospital hallway with my mate in my arms. I mind-link the doctors that I'm here. They meet me halfway with a stretcher. I placed Liz on it so they could take her to surgery. I wait outside as they try to save my mate's life.

I don't know how many hours go by when the doctors step out of the operating room. I rush to the doctor to find out how Elizabeth is doing.

"How is she?" I ask.

"The witch had already sealed her wounds, so we administered a drug to help remove the silver in her body. Most of it went out with her blood, but some remained. We're also giving her blood right now. She fell into a coma because of the blood loss, so it might take a while before she wakes up."

"But she will live regardless?"

"She should."

"That's great. Where is she?" I release a breath of relief.

"Let me take you to her," the doctor says, leading the way to Elizabeth's room. I follow him.

I thank the doctor before stepping into Elizabeth's room. My mate has IV tubes inserted into her hand. One has a blood bag, and the other has a transparent color. I didn't know what it was, but I'm guessing it was something to help remove the silver in her system.

I pull up a chair and sit down beside my mate. I take her pale, cold hands and place a small peck on them. My mate looks dead. I could only tell she was alive because of the heart monitor. It reminds me that she's alive. I felt the urge to cry from how pale she looks. I pray in my heart that she survives like the doctor said she would.

***

I wake up from my little slumber when I hear the heart monitor beating faster than usual. I must have fallen asleep watching my mate. I'm about to press the button for the doctor to come when they burst in themselves.

"What's wrong?" I ask, panicking something terrible might be happening to my mate.

"We don't know yet, my king. Please wait for us outside," the doctor says, checking Elizabeth's body to find out why her heart rate has increased.

"This way, my king," a nurse says, directing me outside.

"Tell me what's wrong! You told me she would be fine!" I refuse to leave the room. I needed to know what was wrong with her.

"I don't know m—" the doctor gets cut off when Elizabeth starts shaking violently on the bed.

"What's happening? Why is she convulsing?" I ask, worried.

"My king, we need a witch right now," the doctor shouts after opening Elizabeth's eyes. They were void of any color and as black as the night.

"Why do you need a witch? Is the magic still affecting her body?"

"I believe so, my king. Medically she seems fine, but she's not recovering."

"Okay, I'll have a witch brought immediately."

I quickly open a mind link with Kyler.

'Kyler, ask your mate to come immediately. I need her to help me save Elizabeth.'

'She will be there immediately, my king,' Kyler replies.

"Is there anything you can do to make it stop before the witch gets here?" Elizabeth's body is shaking too much, and the rate her heart is beating is too fast.

"I'll try my best," the doctor says and talks to a nurse close by to give him something. He then injects it into Elizabeth's arm. Nothing happens. I am about to ask him if he can do anything to help my mate when Ekaterina bursts into the room.

"How can I help?" she asks, looking exhausted. The war drained all of them, and even if they won, they couldn't rest yet because Elizabeth was still fighting her own battle, the battle of life and death.

"She's convulsing, and her heart is beating too fast," the doctor tells Ekaterina as she walks toward the bed.

"Let me see," Ekaterina says, opening Elizabeth's eyes. "This isn't good," she says once she closes them.

Hearing my best friend and one of the strongest witches say 'this isn't good' increased my worries tenfold. "What's not good?"

"The fire Ava put in her body is still inside of her. It is making her body reject the blood she's getting."

"I don't understand."

"The fire spell Ava cast was meant to drain the blood in her body. The fire is still inside her body, so it's making her body reject the new blood so it can continue to drain her out. It only wants blood to go out of her body. It doesn't want any blood to enter."

"Is there a way we can remove the fire in her body to make her body finally accept blood?"

"I tried earlier, but I can try again."

"Please try again," I beg.

"I will, but first, we need to take her outside. I'll try to remove the fire from inside her, so it might be best if we do it outside."

"Okay," I say, lifting Elizabeth's body in my arms. Her body was still shaking viscously even as I held her close. "Let's go," I say, walking to the door. Ekaterina follows me out the door.