CHAPTER 28

Two weeks have passed since we escaped the human fight ring. We finally entered vampire territory a few days ago. We waited a week after we escaped because Ekaterina fell sick. The silver protecting spell took an enormous toll on her body. Luckily for us, she recovered well and was able to cast a strong spell to help us enter vampire territory without raising suspicion.

Things between Nate and I are the same. He treats me with respect, but other than that, nothing has changed. I wish it would because with him treating me with care, I find it hard not to have feelings for him. Sometimes I think about initiating something between us but don't ever follow through with it. I'm too shy, and I don't want to face rejection if I'm misreading his signs.

Nate, Ekaterina, and I are on the streets in vampire territory, asking around for my Mom. I've asked more than a hundred people today, and none of them have seen her or know her whereabouts. I'm starting to worry that I'm too late in finding her.

"Hey," Nate says, waving his hands in front of my face.

I didn't know I'd gotten lost in my thoughts. As I come back to earth, I see the sun is setting which means another week has ended, and we still haven't found her or heard anything about her whereabouts. I don't know when I started crying until I feel Nate's warm hands touching my face.

"Why are you crying?" he asks, wiping away my tears.

"Nate...Mom..." I say, bursting out in tears as I think about the possibility of Mom no longer being alive. I don't want to consider that being true. It'll kill me if I've lost her. Nate doesn't say anything to me. He just pulls me closer to him and wraps his arms around me. I bury my head in his chest and cry my heart out.

I don't know how long we stayed that way, but by the time I stopped crying the sky was filled with stars, and the moon was out. I try to take a step but almost fall. I quickly hold on to Nate, who sweeps me off the ground and into his arms. I don't complain and enjoy being held. Nate walks us to the car we rented when we entered the city. We're staying at a hotel in vampire territory.

As we walk to the car, I think about what Nate did for me today. He stood with me while I cried for hours. He didn't have to, but he did, and now he's carrying me to the car when I'm sure his legs are tired from standing so long. This is nice Nate. He treats me so well, but other than that, nothing.

***

The next day, I sat in the living room after another unsuccessful search. Nate walks out of his bedroom in the hotel suite we're sharing. Nate refused to let me to have my own suite. I wasn't surprised because of his possessiveness.

"Are you hungry?" he asks, walking over to sit beside me.

"Yes, I am. Did you order room service?"

"No. I thought we could go out for dinner tonight?"

"Alright, let me go and get ready," I say.

I walk out of my room once I'm done changing my outfit. Nate and I walk out of our suite together. The spell Ekaterina cast that afternoon still has its effect on, so we don't need her to create a new one.

Nate and I walk into a nice restaurant around the corner. We take our seats on the first empty ones we come across.

"So, I was thinking we should start searching at night. We'll be able to meet vampires, and maybe they've seen her," Nate says while checking the menu in front of him.

We've been asking only humans in the city, not vampires as there are a lot of humans living in their territory. It's basically a normal human area, just with a lot of blood-sucking monsters at night. They allow so many humans to live here, so they have easier access to their food.