CHAPTER 29

Where could his body be? Did the vampires tear him to pieces so that there's nothing left of him? Is Nate dead? No, I don't want to believe that. There is already the possibility that Mom might be gone and now Nate. No, I can't lose Nate. I can't lose him.

I need to find him, but where will I even start. I barely know where I am. I hear a tree branch snap behind me. I quickly change back to wolf form and get ready to attack.

I snarl at the vampire who steps out from behind the tree

"Hi, I mean no harm. I just brought you some clothes to change into," he rushes to say before I attack him. He has clothes in one of his hands.

The vampire looks are around his mid or late twenties, no more than twenty-seven. He has black hair with brown eyes and looks pale and dead like all vampires do. I look at the brown-eyed man, confused, and wondering why a vampire would offer me clothes. He didn't take advantage when I was lost in my thoughts and attack me by surprise. He's behaving very unusual for a vampire.

"I'll stand behind the tree while you change," he says and drops the clothes on the ground a few feet away from me.

I don't let my guard down as I watch him walk away. I don't know if I should change into the clothes he brought for me. It's possible he wants me to be in human form before he attacks. I don't think that's why he brought me clothes, though. I take a leap of faith that there might be a good vampire out there that doesn't kill werewolves on the spot. I shift to human form and put on the clothes.

"You can come out now," I say, once I'm fully dressed.

"I hope they fit. They used to be my mates," he says, with a soft smile.

"Your mate used to be a werewolf?" I ask, wide-eyed. The clothes smell like a werewolf wore them. I can't believe he's claiming the werewolf who wore them was his mate.

"Yes, she was. Come with me; we must hurry now if we want to get to my house in case they come back for you," he says, leading the way.

"Wait," I say, halting him. "I don't mean it offensively but is something wrong with you?" I ask,

"Nothing is wrong with me," he says, and I stare at him, wondering if he's okay or not. "Don't worry, I'll answer all your questions when we get to my house," he says and continues walking. I follow him, hoping I'm not walking to my own death.

The vampire and I walk in the woods before finally stopping in front of a beautiful cottage.

"You live in the woods?" I ask him before he enters the cottage.

"Yes, I do. Don't worry inside here. No vampire would come looking for you."

"Please, somebody should pinch me. I think I'm dreaming."

"No, you're not," he says, chuckling before going in the cottage.

"Who are you?" I ask as I follow him. We walk into a small and cozy living room. 

"My name is Mason. I don't think I need to tell you I'm a vampire."

"Why are you helping a werewolf?"

"My dead mate used to be a werewolf."

"You weren't joking when you said that?" I wanted to assume he said it to put me at ease.

"No, I wasn't. My mate was a werewolf."

"Wow. I never knew that was possible." If his mate was a werewolf, it'd explain why he helped me. He must not hate my kind.

"It's very rare, but it happens."

"I can't believe it."

"I know it's hard to believe, but that I didn't attack you should help you believe me."