Chapter 4: First Day of a New Life

Cody's POV

The previous night after Delilah and Doug adopted me into their family, the latter had set me a new bed in one of the bedrooms some of their children would sleep in as quietly as possible though to avoid waking them up. The bed itself was probably the nicest feeling bed I've ever felt, especially when all I had for a bed back with my dad was the cold hard floor of my dirty empty bedroom. I still remember the very thing I quietly said to the two as I looked at my new bed.

"It's really nice. I've never had one of these before."

"What, a family to love you?" Doug asked as I got in.

"A bed."

I could feel the warmth of the morning sunlight on my face through the bedroom window but that wasn't all that stirred me awake. I felt a small weight on my blanket as I blinked awake and looked over to see a Dalmatian puppy, much smaller than any of the others I had met. She had a little orange shirt with a bone on the front and a diaper. She was looking at me very curiously with a smile as I could only smile back at the infant.

"Hi there." I reached over with an arm to pet the baby Dalmatian which made her giggle with delight and reach for my wrist with her little hands and gently squeeze it.

"I see you've met Dorothy." I saw Dylan at the bedroom, smiling at the bonding moment I was having with Dorothy who was now nuzzling my hand. "Morning, Dylan!" I sat up on my bed before he came over and picked Dorothy up. "Come on, Dorothy, time for breakfast." Dorothy was quick to protest, reaching her arms out to me with a whimper. I petted her reassuringly, "Don't worry, I'll be sure to play with you later." This seemed to satisfy her as she smiled again before I got out of bed and changed into the same clothes Dizzy and Dee Dee had found me in since they were the only ones on my back. Following Dylan downstairs, I could pick up a faint yet nice smell that reminded me of a bakery my mom once visited with me back in Yateley as we soon entered the kitchen and found my new mom, Delilah making fresh waffles. I took a seat in between Dizzy and Dee Dee who beamed at me before our waffles were served, mom had this to say when she was done serving.

"Alright, me and dad have to hurry to work. Dylan and Dolly will be here to look out for you and your siblings, Cody." Mom stroked my hair with reassurance before leaving with Doug, but not before the latter patted my head.

With mom and dad now out of the house, Dolly came into the scene while Dylan was occupied with the dishes. "Alright you guys, I've some real cool news for you all!" Everyone's attention was on her, even mine. "Me and Dylan heard mom and dad talk with Cody the other day, and you all love Cody, right?"

"Yeah!" None of the puppies in the area hesitated to answer with that, making Dolly's smile change into a grin. "Well... How would you feel if he stayed with us? As a part of our family?" Out of all the puppies with me, Dizzy and Dee Dee gasped the loudest.

"You mean...?!"

"Yeah! He's living with us now!" Nothing could prepare me for the huge group-hug I got from all my new brothers and sisters until someone suddenly objected.

"Oh no no no! There's like, no way a human is going to be a part of our family!" I turned to the feminine voice and spotted three Dalmatian girls. Body wise, they all looked similar, the only way you could tell them apart was their clothing. One had a pink shirt with hearts on the front, gray-purple shorts and sandals, the second had a pink striped shirt and a rounded skirt with a necklace that had the letter 'X' on the round gem, and the last had an outfit similar to an Elementary school girl with a pink vest that had a small pink gem on the front, a white undershirt and a dark purple frilled skirt with black knee-high socks and maroon shoes. The one in the schoolwear held one of my arms up, looking at my hoodie.