I Would Never Pick Such a Hideous Wig

Start from the beginning

I walk onto the front steps and stare at the front door of the building remembering how much I loved my apartment. It was small, shabby, and crowded, but it was perfect for Lydia. Elliot walks up the steps past me unlocking the front door and I follow slowly behind him. The same green dirty walls with an empty old front desk and a rusty elevator in the back greet us.

God, being here feels strange. He hasn't changed a thing about the building. 

"Does this thing even still work?" I ask as the elevator opens letting out the familiar scratching sound. 

"No clue,"  he says as he gets in and I hide a small smile as I go in behind him. 

He presses the sixth-floor button and I prepare myself for the sudden movements that use to come with the elevator, but it rides smoothly. I guess he did have the elevator fixed. 

"I hated riding this thing," he says as if reading my mind. 

We walk out of the elevator and towards the same old apartment, number 653. He unlocks the front door and as we go inside I'm greeted with the familiarity of my old home. 

He's kept the apartment mostly the same, with a few small changes. The living room has the same dark blue love seat couch and my old DVD player, but he's bought a new television. The same small dining table is still in the kitchen, but it seems to be more of an office now as it's covered with documents and brown boxes. 

I walk to my old room and open the door. My old drawer cabinet is gone, but my bed is intact. The same old bed frame with my old sheets is neatly covering my old bed. 

"You didn't change it," I say as I take a seat on the edge of my bed. 

"I had to fix a few things and get a new t.v," he chuckles taking a seat next to me. "But why bother buying new furniture."

"Besides," he lays down. "I always loved this bed." 

"Me too," I lay back staring up at the ceiling. "Sam bought it for me a few months after I moved in. I always assumed it was the most expensive thing I owned since it's so comfortable." 

"That's probably an accurate assumption," he says and we lay in silence for a few seconds. 

"What are we doing here Stone?" I ask and he groans. 

"I've been using this space as an office," he says, not bothering to argue with me over calling him Stone. "I wanted to share with you what I've been working on."

Really? We're here to talk about work. 

"If this is another attempt at the Fight for Hunger campaign," I stand up suddenly feeling irritated, but he cuts me off.

"It's not," he stands up and walks out of the room. I follow him as he makes his way to the dining table and I look down at the papers he has.

I assumed they were contract or official documents, but I recognize Elliot's writing on the white papers. Some of the documents have dates and names along with addresses. 

"I've been working on Noah's accident," he says opening one of the brown boxes and handing it to me.  

Wait, what? 

I pull out one of the vanilla folders inside the box, it's labeled Elizabeth Louise. I take a seat in one of the dining chairs and open the folder. Inside he has a set of pictures paper clipped together with a few documents. 

I scan through the documents most of them are L&F inc contracts, but I stop as I find a familiar one. It's the contract Noah made when I was in prison for my mother to take over the company.