The Help of a New Friend

6:10 a.m. 13 February 2014

Steve's POV:

We sit there waiting in the truck, for the man to return home from his morning run. Once the target arrives home, we rush over and knock at his door, he opens the door to be greeted with the sight of the three of us all beaten up.

"Hey, man." Sam nods.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." I explain  as I shuffle the still unconscious girl in my arms.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us."

Sam pauses a moment, scanning the area before replying.

"Not everyone." Sam cracks the door open more, allowing us to enter.

I give him an appreciative smile and nod as I step in behind Nat. Sam instantly locking the door tight and draws the blinds. He instantly directs us to one of the guest rooms, allowing us to clean ourselves up.

"You guys can relax. Take a shower. Anything you need, go for it. I will be back in the kitchen while you guys clean up."

"Thanks Sam." Nat nods, a tight smile on her lips as she was obviously a bit hesitant.

"Of course, anything for friends." The man winks my way, his eyes then travel down to the brunette laying on the bed causing him to hesitate in his steps.

"How is she? Do you want me to check up on her to see if she has anything serious?"

"You're a paramedic?" Nat quips.

"No, but I did get some training done on my two tours." Sam smiles over at her.

"Yeah, that'd be great please." I motion to the bed, sitting on the edge.

I feel Nat burning holes into the side of my head as she leans against the door frame.

"Alright," Sam speaks after a while of checking her pulse, legs and arms for any bumps or abrasions.

"She seems good, her heart beat nice and steady. She just has quite a bump here on the side of her head. I can get her an ice pack for that with some Advil and water, and she should all be good to go." He grins back at us as he leans back.

"Great, thanks Sam." Nat pats his shoulder as she sends him a small grateful smile.

Sam walks out to allow us to clean up. When Natasha walks out and sits by the top of the bed near Andrea's head, I notice she is looking sad and in deep thought.

"You okay?" I softly speak.

"Yeah." She looks towards Andrea, patting her hair softly.

"What's going on?"

Nat stops her motion, pausing before she speaks. "When I first joined SHIELD, I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KGB for HYDRA. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but...I guess I can't tell the difference anymore."

"There's a chance you might be in the wrong business." I tell her, getting a faint smile.

"I owe you. The both of you."

"It's okay. I'm sure Andrea would defend the both of us- all of us- in a heart beat." I smile down at the beautiful dame.

"If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, and you be honest with me, would you trust me to do it?"

"I would now. And I'm always honest." I nod with a reassuring smile.

"Well, you seem pretty chipper for someone who just found out they died for nothing."