34 - Kade's Testimony

Start from the beginning

Mr. Porter tugs at my fingers and I tear my hand away.

"Don't touch me." My voice sounds magnified in the silence of the courtroom and people stare at me with a mixture of disbelief and mocking.

"Would you please sit down, Ms. Cooper." Judge Mitchellson demands sternly. "I want to start with the proceedings."

I blush when I realize that all my lawyer tried to do was to alert me that I was the last one standing. I find Doc's face who gives me a slight nod. He is the only one who realizes that I can't handle any unexpected physical contact from a man. Come to think of it, he is actually quite cool. I definitely should have been nicer to him.

I slouch down in my chair and give the jury my best rueful smile for delaying them. I don't think I succeeded, they gaze at me more sullen than ever. Kade's name is called and he steps to the stand and is sworn in before he takes his seat in the witness box.

He looks good, very relaxed and happy. His face is tanned and I imagine he spent a lot of time outdoors over the summer, maybe even went snorkeling again in the Caribbean. His dark business suit gives him an aura of importance and he is even wearing a matching tie. Very professional.

Marcus runs through the introduction – Kade's name, where he works, how we met. They speed through the events of the seven months in which we had known each other to arrive at the evening in question – the night of Brent's death.

"Dr. Fallon, what happened that day?"

"Rena." Kade's eyes land on me. "Ms. Cooper called me."

"Approximately at what time?"

"It must have been around ten o'clock in the evening."

Four after ten to be exact, according to the phone records the police subpoenaed after the murder.

"And did you tape the conversation?"

"Yes, sir, I did, at the advice of my mother. Ms. Cooper had filed for a protection order and my mother said that I needed to document all contact to prove it was initiated by her and what was discussed."

Marcus holds up a bunch of papers tuckered together. "With your permission, your honor, we would like to enter the call as Exhibit 12 and ask the recording to be played to the jury."

Mr. Porter rises. "No objection."

This point was already haggled over during pre-trial motions when Judge Mitchellson ruled that our conversations are admissible. It is Marcus's only chance to show premeditation.

Our words echo through the court room.

'Hello'

'It's Rena.'

Silence.

'I don't want to talk to you.' Kade sounded adamant.

'Please,' I begged. 'Let me explain.'

There is Kade's bitter laugh that went straight to the core of my heart that night.

'Your protection order was explanation enough. I wanted to help you and look how far that got me. No Rena, you made your bed and now you have to lie in it.'

I have always hated that expression.

'Please, Kade, it's not that easy. Brent...'

He interrupted me. 'Truthfully, I'm tired of your excuses. If you want to stay with him and continue to be beaten up, that's your choice. Just don't bother me anymore.'