Chapter 11

I couldn’t stop touching him and he never let me out of his reach whenever we were alone. We were learning more about one another, finding new habits and beginning to live together as a true couple. Thankfully Adi’s schedule was no longer as busy and we were able to bond. We spent more time together in the past month ever since his return back home. It reminded me of the time when we were younger. Only this was more intimate and intriguing. My life was not where I thought it would be right now and it was all kinds of exciting.
Adi was opening up slowly each day and I was beginning to trust him because of this. Every so often I would catch him staring at me or notice the way he listened to everything I was saying and I would imagine that he too had strong feelings for me. But I could never be sure because when you were inlove with someone, you could misinterpret your lovers behaviour for what it actually wasn’t.
‘Penny for your thoughts?’ Adi picks my hand up and kisses my fingertips. I smile at him warmly as I try to tune out my doubts. Staring into his beautiful eyes, the need to know where we stood was overwhelming. I wanted to know what he thought of me. What his feelings were and most importantly, if this was real or not? I did not want to have a contract marriage. I wanted a love marriage.
‘I was wondering what we should do first?’ I sigh out, deflated. I was a coward. Why couldn’t I just say what I thought?
‘Anything you always wanted to try? Maybe we could go to a restaurant and order something different. The lobster at Lé Café is something to die for.’ Adi smiles at me hopefully but the thought of lobster has me falling back against the soft cushions on the bed. I was not in the mood for seafood. Yesterday’s disaster on the private plane, when I upchucked the fish I’d had for lunch, turned me away from anything fished out of the big blue.
I turn my gaze to stare out of the huge windows. The view outside was beautiful, breath taking and inviting. However, since our arrival in the States for the upcoming conference last night, the sudden onset of nausea kept me away from exploring anywhere. I had settled in bed and did not want to get up or move anywhere as yet.
Despite my upset tummy, I loved this place. Instead of taking us to a hotel suite, Adi had opted for the Royal resort chain instead where we were given our own little chalet for the week. This way we were ensured privacy and security at the same time. The chalet was fully equipped with the latest gadgets. There were two large bedrooms and even an outside building to house our security detail. But that was not the most impressive, there was a five star chef who could be called over in an instant to see to our meals and there was a boundless amount of fruits and snacks in the kitchen. Clearly, it must have cost a fortune per night. As for the surroundings, it was so natural and calming. There were huge trees covering the ground, littered with evergreen grass. Koi ponds as large as three Olympic sized swimming pools were perfectly positioned around the building under bridged pathways that let you enjoy the view beneath. The most captivating point was how secluded from the modern world this place seemed. The only thing surrounding us was silence that would set anyone in a state of zen. If only I hadn’t been feeling so nauseous all the time then I would have been out exploring this haven.
Auntie Fatima was currently enjoying herself so far, indulging in some beauty treatments and a full spa special provided by the staff from the resort, whereas I on the other hand spent most of my day sleeping in.
‘Liyah?’ Adi calls, snapping me back to the present.
‘Lets steer clear of fish and stuff like that for a little while. I can’t tolerate the smell. Still feeling sick and a bit queasy. I think I’ll be having something light for lunch though. Maybe eggs? Or no. That also makes me feel sick thinking about it. Maybe cereal?’ I tell Adi and he looks at me sympathetically.
‘Cereal for lunch? That doesn’t sound very nutritious, but it is okay as long as you eat something. I’ll even stay with you and have some too.’
‘No you don’t have to stay. You can go and see all of your friends. A lot of people have been calling. Don’t let me stop you.’ I point at the phone on the dresser. It had been ringing constantly when Adi was away and since all of the calls went to voicemail, I got to hear all of them. Most claimed to be friends from college and some business associates of Adi’s. It was amazing to know how many people liked him and were demanding he visit them to catch up.
‘No. I want to do everything with you by my side.’ He sighs and snuggles closer to me but as soon as he places his arm around my belly, I am hit with a sense of nausea. I push him away and hurry into the bathroom where I throw-up again. This was not the best way to start the first day whilst visiting another country. ‘You okay Liyah?’ Adi asks through the door.
‘No. My tummy is upset, I think its food poisoning or a tummy bug. Stomach flu.’ I call out and then I hear Adi shuffling around. Instead of exiting immediately, I end up taking a shower to help relieve the discomfort and get clean. I put on a pair of shorts and I pull out one of Adi’s cotton t-shirts to use from the adjoining closet. It was something I had gotten used to doing the past month, wearing his t-shirts always made me feel comfortable.
When I step out into the room I am surprised to see a lady standing at the foot of the bed. She was talking to Adi and they both seemed very excited to be in one another’s company. When he notices my approach, he smiles at me warily. Why? Who was she?
‘Aaliyah, this is my friend, Bianca Summers. She was one of the first friends I made when I first came to America. We even went to the same college,’ I turn and take in the blonde with blue eyes who was startlingly beautiful and so so tall. She was wearing a tight body-hugging green dress and six inch heels. Fully expecting some animosity from her, I am surprised by the friendly smile she sends my way. ‘She is a doctor and well, I called for a favour for her to come check on you since she only lives a few miles away.’ Adi explains and I feel my cheeks burn with embarrassment. I had been expecting her to be one of his ex’s. How silly of me.
‘Hi. I’m Aaliyah. Thank you for coming in such short notice.’ I smile and she shakes my hand happily.
‘No problem. I am quite honoured that I get to help out the Queen and King of Bahrain. Firstly, Phillip, are you going to stay while I talk to Aaliyah?’
I turn to Adi. It was an still strange hearing people refer to him as Phillip.
‘Yes. I will stay. Just in case...’ he turns to face me, giving me a stern look that said that I was not to object him. I felt oddly surprised. Did he think I wouldn’t want him to with me or was it something else?
‘In case what?’ I question but he only shakes his head. When he doesn’t answer, Bianca steps forward and gestures for me to sit on the comfy cushioned chair facing the window. Adi leans against the wall behind me so I am unable to see his face. I was beginning to feel anxious but I turn my focus back to Bianca anyway and she smiles again before asking, ‘So. Can you explain to me your symptoms?’
I go into the details about my nausea and throwing up that began on the private jet last night. I tell her about the fatigue weighing me down and weird body heat I had been experiencing since the past week or so.
‘Hmm, first thing would be food poisoning but it happened too fast. Also let me check,’ she points a light into my eyes, checks the inside of my mouth and then checks my temperature with a gadget that touches my ear. Bianca then asks me to lean back, flat against the couch, she presses lightly against my belly and nods once. ‘When was your last period. If you can remember the date?’
I turn to face Adi. He shakes his head. He did not know. I couldn’t remember either. It had definitely been before the time we went on our beach trip.
‘Oh my!’ I whisper. ‘I think it was two months ago.’ Adi balks at my answer and I shift nervously as Bianca stands up and walks toward her shoulder bag. She rifles through until she produces a small box.
‘This is just a pregnancy stick. We will need to at least verify that you are expecting and then take it from there.’
Its all a little too quiet in the room. I can hear the blood rushing in my ears. My heart was pumping too fast and I was feeling a little scared when she hands me the stick. With shaking hands I walk back into the bathroom. Maybe I was overacting and this was all just a tummy bug. Or maybe I was wrong and I really was pregnant? I imagine myself as a mother and I almost start to panic. Why was I feeling so much pressure?
I shake my head to chase away the anxiety. It is better to do the test first and then worry later, I remind myself. So, I close the door and sit down. I read the instructions on the back of the packaging and pee on the stick. Only after the required three minutes do I finally come out to hand the test to the doctor.
‘Looks like you both are expecting a baby. Congratulations!’ Bianca exclaims and Adi looks at me with a mixture of anxious and joy-filled eyes.
I for one was very unprepared and was still very nervous by the news. Not that I wasn’t happy. I was thrilled knowing that Adi and I were going to have a baby. We had actually created something together and for a moment it makes me wonder if this was the first step of us building a stronger relationship. A true marriage and starting a family together? I had no idea but I sure hoped it was a good thing.
Deep in my thoughts, I vaguely acknowledge Bianca telling Adi to bring me in for a blood test and scan and she leaves soon after.
‘I suspected as much.’ Adi announces loudly.
‘Huh?’ I look at him as he comes to sit beside me on the bed.
He touches my belly. I was already starting to feel tired and sleepy again. Ugh! Was this something that was a part of the pregnancy process? I wanted to lie down again but something that he had said nags at the back of my mind.
‘What did you mean by in case when Bianca asked if you wanted to be here or not?’
‘It was because I thought that you were pregnant.’
Surprise hits me. He expected this? But then...
‘So...?’ I prompt and he sighs again.
‘Don’t take this the wrong way.’ He takes my hands in his and looks straight at me. ‘I didn’t want you taking the easy way out of this...if you really were pregnant. I wanted to be there in case you...if you decided against the pregnancy.’
It takes a moment for what he just said to sink in. I wouldn’t say I felt angry. It was something else. As if a tiny crack in the wall of a dam just finally gave way and spread until the whole thing fell apart, causing the water to gush out all at once. That was how furious I was. If I hadn’t been feeling so weak then I would have screamed or pulled his beautiful hair out but, instead, I only try to pull my hands away from his. Adi, quick to react, holds onto my wrists firmly.
‘Let go!’ I hiss.
‘No! You promised you wouldn’t get angry, Liyah.’
‘That isn’t true. I never promised you anything. I am tired, Adi. I am so tired of you doubting and resenting me. Why would I ever do such a thing when this baby is yours too?’ I ask him but my voice cracks and tears slip down my cheeks. ‘Why would you even assume such a thing? Do you really think I am so heartless. Are you forgetting that that is who you are? You are the selfish one and not me?’ I whisper the truth and he flinches from the hardness of my voice. But I did not care if I hurt his feelings. My heart was breaking all over again.

                                 *****
I let go of her hands and she clutches them to her chest as though she were scared of me or something. I had hurt her. Again! I was an idiot!
I knew that I did not deserve her and I was only making thing worse by accusing her of things I knew deep down she would never do. The strangest thing being that she was right. I had doubted her and I had resented her too for a very long time. She represented all that I had and worst of all, everything I couldn’t have. Was that why I kept hurting her? But she loved me and I felt so much for her so why was I...? I shake my head. Mad at myself and not knowing how to fix this made me want bang my head into a wall.
When Liyah ran from me earlier to throw up, I knew instantly in my gut that it was a sign of pregnancy, not food poisoning. Us becoming parents had been on my mind for a while now since I knew that the only way Aaliyah would never leave me after the five years when the contract ended was if we had children together. Yes, I had been cruel to her in drawing up the contract in the first place and maybe this was evil on a whole new other level, but it was what had to be done. To secure both our futures and to spare us any hurt.
It would also be a disgrace if the king of Bahrain had to take up another wife to bear him an heir because his first wife had divorced him just for her own freedom. It would make me seem like some sort of tyrant. But that was beside the point, I was inlove with Aaliyah. This love was a true aching and demanding type of love that made me need her beside me forever or else I would be driven insane without her. I had no idea how I ever stayed away from her those past eight years when now my fingers twitched in want for her, my eyes roamed every passageway looking for her and my ears strained to hear her voice even when we were apart.
‘I will leave you to cool down and then I will return.’ I inform her after she backs away from my touch. I expected her to fight, shout and demand something! Anything! But she didn’t. She just sits there on the bed, her head is bent down and she looks small and frail. It was so unlike her. So I leave, to give her some space.
I should have just kept my mouth shut! Why did I always have to doubt her?
Just as I walk out the door, my phone starts to ring. After glancing at the screen I slide my finger to answer the call. A sudden movement on my right catches my attention but when I turn to check what it was, I don’t see anything there. I shrug the uneasiness away. This was why I could never give in to my feelings. They made me weak and jumpy.
‘David, how are you?’ I ask the man on the other side of the line as I glance at Aaliyah through the door again but her back was facing me. Her shoulders were stiff and tense, most probably because she was irritated by my voice. So I walk to the other end of the huge living room heading for the exit.
‘I’m good. What about you? Ever since you became a King, you’ve hardly had any time for the company or us regular folk. Remember your friends? Why don’t you come down and we could talk.’ He laughs and I feel a little strung out. I was worried about Aaliyah and wanted to stay here with her even if she hated my guts right now. But David was right. It had been months since I was my normal self and I missed that. Being a King was overbearing.
Although... I was no longer just a king, and husband, now I was going to be a father too. I turn around, feeling unsettled about leaving Liyah alone. Especially angry. This could be seen as a selfish move but I had no choice. If I were to be here, loitering around and checking up on her regularly, that would only push Liyah even further away. It was best to go to give her some space. It was not as though she were going to really be alone here, I remind myself. My mother would gladly watch over Liyah in-case she needed anything.
An hours drive away and some drinks with an old friend couldn’t hurt, I think as I walk outside. My gaze takes in the surrounding and I spot my mother reading a book on the poolside under an umbrella. At least this visit to the states is agreeing with someone, I think as I roll my head from side to side. My insides start to squirm and for a moment I feel like a little child again. My mother was going to bite my head off when I told her about what had just happened between Liyah and me. And the pregnancy. Dammit! Outing yourself was never an easy thing. Best to do it quickly.
‘Mother.’ I call out and she glances up at me with a smile on her face and I sigh when she scrunches up her eyebrows after she sees the look on my face.
‘What’s wrong?’ she asks and stands up, readjusting the hijab on her head as soon as I near her.
‘There is good news to tell first. Aaliyah and I are expecting a child.’ My voice wobbles on the last word. It only hits me now that I was going to really become somebody's  father. Being responsible for a country was one thing but the pressure was so much worse when you had to be responsible for a baby!
‘Oh! This is splendid news. Where is Aaliyah?’ I must congratulate her.’ My mother steps forward and embraces me.
‘I hurt her. Again.’ I whisper and my mother looks up at me in surprise. ‘I did not trust her. So I accused her of something so stupid. What should I do mother?’ I collapse onto one of the poolside chairs and rub my eyes to wipe away the moisture building up.
‘Give her some space. I will go and speak to her.’
‘Why do I always mess up? I don’t deserve her.’ I spit out the truth and my chest burns with shame.
‘Even if that is true, marriage is very hard work. You have to work on it constantly so that it does not crumble. It’s based on trust. That is very important. Remember Adi, always make sure to show her know how much you care about her. Even if you have to do it ten times a day. It will help her realise that you care and it will be easier to forgive when you make a mistake. Try to treat her right, Adi.’ She pats me on the back and stands up to leave. She was right. I had to tell Aaliyah everything. If I wanted to have a chance with her then I could no longer keep secrets. It was the only thing she had asked of me, to be open with her.
Tonight, I was going to tell her everything. The thought is promising as I walk towards the car that was already waiting for me.

Emtiaaz drives me to David’s home. It was a long one hour drive away and with each second that passed by, I felt a bit of fright creep up on me. The dreadful feeling that I had lost Aaliyah made me want to throw up and the nagging sensation that something was wrong kept me on edge. But I brush the silly thoughts away and steel my nerves. Aaliyah couldn’t leave me. Not yet anyway. She was bound to me. By law and by our marriage. She was carrying my child now and that made her bound to the throne of Bahrain as well. Whether she liked it or not, she was stuck by my side.
When we finally stop at David’s home; a massive three storey sitting on a cliff overlooking the sea, he walks out looking a bit frayed. However, as soon as his gaze connects with mine, he beams wide his usual charming smile.
‘Philip!’ he steps forward but a guard, Mathew, blocks him off. He searches David, and I feel a little embarrassed. This sort of thing was fine back home but David and I had spent years together. We were friends and I knew he would never hurt me. I suddenly think of Elena and flinch. David knew nothing of what had happened to her.
‘Are you okay? You look tired.’
‘Oh I’m just worried about some personal stuff. Nothing for you to worry yourself with.’ David says as he steers me toward the entrance of his big house.
When we enter his home I don’t waste time with banter. ‘David. Now is not the best time. I came here to tell you some things that I could only do face to face.’ David turns to face me. His face patient yet slightly amused. I open my mouth to speak but Mathew’s cell starts ringing, interrupting my train of thought. He signals another bodyguard and then leaves to answer it. Being so caught up in their movements only meant that I was still getting users to having so many bodyguards around me But that only solidified who I really was at the moment. Who I had to be for the rest of my life...
‘I am leaving the company for good and I want you to have it. Do whatever it is that you wish for it but only promise me that you will take care of it.’ David's face is a mirror of shock and even though I hadn’t planned on any of this, it seemed right. I was happy with my decision. The company had been my dream come true but I had accomplished it and made it a successful and thriving architect firm. There was nothing more to it. Aaliyah was my present and the baby would ensure our future with one another. I loved her. And the only other thing I would allow to distract me from being around and with her for eternity was Bahrain. But I would never allow our country or anyone else to come between us. Not even my doubts or reckless foolishness.
‘Wow! Phillip. I promise you that I will.’
‘I’m glad. But that isn’t the only thing. Elena. She...’ I don’t get to finish before David interrupts.
‘I still love her. I tried to get in contact with her but nothing seems to be going through. Her lines are all dead and her home is empty. She’s gone!’ he hangs his head and I feel a sense of guilt rise up.
‘No. She is with her sister.’ I explain everything that had happened. Especially about her mental disorder and her breakdown episodes in Bahrain. David looks ashen by the news but we don’t have time to talk about it any more because Mathew rushes into the living room looking bewildered.
‘Your Majesty. I just received news. Her Majesty has been taken, kidnapped more likely, from the chalet. My men are still trying to figure out how this happened but most of them are tailing the car right now and they have an I.D. on the driver. A blonde, I have a photo here that was taken from the CCTV cameras at the chalet. It’s her.’ He hands me the phone with an image on it. But I did not have to see it. I already knew that it was Elena. David comes to stand beside us. He gives me a horrified look. I gulp down some air knowing that things could end badly. My hands start to shake but I clench them into fists to still myself.
‘How did this happen under your men’s’ watch!’ I shout at the man standing in front of me and he withers under my glare. I look away when David takes the phone with Elena’s picture from my hands.
‘I’m going with you. This is all my fault.’ I refrain from saying anything as we all turn together, rushing outside and into the already waiting car. I wanted to shout out and cry. I really wanted to punch something for not acting on my earlier uneasiness. The fact that I felt something was wrong. My eyes well up but I reign in the need to bawl my eyes out with a shudder. If only I hadn’t left Aaliyah alone today.
‘What about my mother?’ I suddenly  remember to ask Mathew and he grunts.
‘Fortunately she was not in the house at the time...’ I don’t hear the rest of what he says as my heart lifts a little. But then again I fall into despair.
My Aaliyah was in danger. Because of me.
I say a silent prayer as we speed past the heavy San Francisco traffic. My heart races a mile a minute as images of the worst case scenarios pop up in my mind.
To keep from losing hold of my sanity, I focus on listening as the driver receives instructions from Mathew on which directions to take. I look out the window and stare at the unfamiliar landscape. I had no idea where we were going.
‘She’s going to the place we used to stay in whenever we wanted uhm, privacy. But why is she taking your wife there?’ David asks as he points to the surroundings and I give him a cruel stare. How was I supposed to know?