Chapter 4

My hands were getting decked out with mehndi-a henna based dye that Asians used to decorate hands and feet before ceremonious occasions. I was stunned by the lady doing the designs on my hands, the swirling patterns were so symmetrical and beautiful.
There was soft music playing in the background. Young girls were dancing and old aunties were laughing and gossiping. Most of them telling me what to expect on my wedding night. My face must have been as red as a tomato. Who knew old aunties could be so revealing when they were all bunched together? If I heard one more story about how old men thought they looked good naked, I was going to burst out laughing.
Auntie Fatima was happily seated beside me. Since she was Queen, the others did not want her getting her hands dirty with the oils and spices they were anointing my body and hair with.
Looking at all the smiling faces of the happy women, I couldn’t help but notice the absence of my mother. Would she have enjoyed herself and fed me some of the sweet dishes too? Or would she have been the one who was putting kohl-the dark eyeliner, around my eyes?
‘What is it, Liyah?’ Auntie Fatima asks me. She tilts my chin up so I am forced to look into her eyes.
‘I was just thinking about my mom.’ I give her a sad smile and she pats my shoulder.
‘Both your mother and father would have been glad to see you now. Such a beautiful bride. Tomorrow morning you and Adi will finally be married. Your father would be so proud of you.’ She reassures me. It was true. I had never been allowed to date or be courted by any men. Adi had said so himself. A good Muslim girl has an arranged marriage. It was what was done. No matter how old fashioned it sounded.
But what about Adi? The last I saw him was at our engagement party when Elena had tried to cause a scene and he had ushered her away without saying a word to me. Auntie and Uncle had pretended as though everything were okay and made sure that the guests hardly noticed the commotion. Luckily no one had, except for me. I cried myself to sleep that night knowing that Adi was gone forever. He was with beautiful Elena and who knew what they were doing right now?
That one night when Adi came to my room, it had been shocking to see him leave through the hidden passageways and the whole thing felt a little naughty. I expected him to show up again but he never did. Hard as it was to admit it, I missed him dreadfully. It was worse than the first time he had left but I hoped it wasn’t the same story now and that he was still here, despite him not showing up for over two weeks already.
My gaze searches the crowd around me but I smile Sadly When I do not see the face I long for. Instead many familiar, smiling faces come into view and I am forced to exchange happy acknowledging glances with them. All were excited about the festivities, all except for me. I was feeling guilty that my thoughts were running rampart and my heart ached to be anywhere but here. Not knowing what was to come left me on the verge of panicking.
All the men were away from the palace tonight. They were having some kind of drinking celebration somewhere else. A sort of traditional bachelor’s party. Since I was not allowed to see Adi until after the wedding tomorrow, I couldn’t even ask anyone to take me to him, for an explanation of what was going on...at least. So the best I could do was twiddle my thumbs and hope that he showed up tomorrow. Without the leggy blonde in tow.
It was strange to be feeling this way, only a month ago I had refused this marriage, and now I was hoping Adi showed up for the wedding.
‘Oh Adi,’ I whisper to quell my silent agony as I pass the night idly listening to the gossip floating around me.

A few hours later the festivities die down and I am finally allowed a hot bath. It takes two people to help wash away all the spices and oil from my body. Sara hums a soft tune while scrubbing the yellow out of my skin and Huma massages the oil from my hair. After the bath, I am herded into the shower to rinse off any residue. When I finally step out of the bathroom, I feel clean and refreshed.
My bed sheets were changed from the usual white to a dark yellow colour. Most probably because of the turmeric that still hadn’t washed away completely from my skin. I glance at my reflection on the huge mirror beside my dresser. I did look a little yellow. I was practically glowing. I looked like a bride! However, I did not feel like one. If anything, I felt disappointed. Who else started their marriage with this kind of suspense and mess hanging over their heads? I did not even know the gist of what was going on.
The wedding jewels set atop my dresser catches my eye and I glance around at the wedding garments spread out against the recliner at the foot of my bed. My chest tightens up as panic sets in. I was really getting married, tomorrow! And I had no idea if Adi was even here or not. Sitting on the edge of my bed, I pray silently.
This was not me. I wasn’t so...so subservient. Waiting for whatever was about to come with open arms. I had to do something or else I would never go to sleep. The questions would drive me insane and not knowing where he was had me all strung out. I was ready to snap. Like a twig.
I walk out of my room and go to Sara.
‘Sara? Are you awake?’ I call hesitantly at the door.
‘Yes ma’am. Do you need something?’
‘I do. I need your clothes.’ Sara opens the door quickly and walks in. Her face ashen.
‘Are you running away?’ the hint of sadness detectable in her voice startles me.
‘No. Not running. Spying.’ I tell her. She lets out a relieved breath and smiles at me. If she hadn’t kept to herself all these years, I imagine we would have been close friends. Maybe we were in a way.
‘Why did you think I was running away?’ I ask, genuinely interested in her answer.
‘I know that you feel trapped, living here all your life. I have been taking care of you for a very long time now and I see you looking over the walls all the time. I always suspected that you wanted to run away. But then a month ago, when his Majesty came back, you stopped looking outside. You were looking within. For him? I thought you were finally going to be happy but then that woman showed up and you got scared.’ Was that true? I had never noticed. ‘Take this with you. So it will give you a reason.’ She gives me a small tray with a hot cup of almond milk on it. I give her a hug and she gasps out in surprise. I then put on the usual white tunic, handmaiden attire, that was handed to me. The shawl and veil cover my face and hair so no one would recognize me. Finally satisfied with my appearance, I exit the room.
Feeling unprepared and without a plan, I drift through the corridors and keep to myself letting my feet lead the way. It was amazingly quiet compared to the daytime business. The corridors were empty and each and every footstep of mine felt surreal. I felt a little free. The stillness of the night was enchanting in a way that made me feel happy. Perhaps it was because I could be myself under Sara’s clothes and there was no one to see me or restrict me from being carefree. Without noticing it, the pressure of tomorrow started to dissipate.
Suddenly, a huge set of double doors comes into my line of sight and I fight the urge to run back to my room. It was Adi’s quarters. I was surprised that I had absentmindedly walked this way. I had no choice. I wanted to see him. If anything, my heart was crying out for some kind of assurance. And only Adi could give that to me. So I carry on walking and the guard stationed at the door moves to the side to let me in since he immediately thinks that the milk on my tray was for Adi.
So the prince was here after all. In his room. How had I not seen him in all this time?
As I enter through the wide doors, I am hit with a sense of nostalgia. The last time I had been here was a week after Adi left. I came here to cry because I felt angry about being all alone here. Now, I realise it was only because I had missed him and this was the only place that was filled with things that belonged to him. I walk over to a huge desk, something new, that had been placed beside the tall windows. The lights were focused on the objects on the table. It was a model of a building. I walk closer to inspect it. It was a 3-D model of a hospital. I bend over and am surprised to see that there were quite a few models of other things as well. Some were of schools and others were of small houses. There were blueprints spread out all over and I wanted to run my fingers over them.
‘It’s beautiful, isn’t it?’ I almost jump as Adi’s voice booms from across the room. He was wearing a pair of knee length shorts and a fitting t-shirt. His hair was wet and there was a towel in his hands. He must have just come out of the shower. I swallow hard. Why was I so affected by the sight of him?
Remembering that he didn’t know who I was because of the veil covering my face, I bow slightly and offer him the milk. He takes it from me and places it on a nearby table. ‘Come let me show you my work.’
‘Me?’ I squeak as I turn to follow him but he doesn’t spare me a second glance. I thank my lucky stars that he did not recognise me.
‘Yes. You. I am sure you know my father’s new orders. After I marry tomorrow I will be crowned king as soon as possible. We are thinking of having the coronation ceremony after the honeymoon.’ I nod my head. I had heard of this only tonight, via gossip. Adi gestures at the models and his eyes light up. ‘Well, I want to start building these as soon as possible. Ever since I came back, I was surprised by the state of things in our land and I want to better it. These models of houses here will be for the poor, the homeless. They are economically friendly but our country has enough money. Why should we let the poor man be poor when everyone can live average lives?’
‘Indeed.’ I whisper as I look at it all again. So this is what Adi had been doing with his free time. Planning on bettering Bahrain and not spending his time with Elena. I felt like a fool for doubting him.
‘These hospitals and schools will be for the rural areas. I never knew about the poorer people not having access to these facilities. Father agrees with my plan and mother is very proud. There is only one person who does not know. But she is a fool because she doubts me. She does not trust me.’
‘Oh!’ I squeak again.
‘Yes. You know how Aaliyah and I used to be inseparable when we were young?’ I shake my head and he smiles evilly. ‘Oh I am sure you do. After all, you used to come in here all the time. We used to jump on my bed and come here to eat all of the cakes and sweet rice pudding we had stolen.’ My eyes widen. He knew!
‘How did you know?’ it was jarring that he recognised me in this tunic.
‘As I said before, Aaliyah. You are quite the fool.’ Adi mutters as he walks toward me. He starts to remove the veil around my head but I squeal in protest.
‘You can’t see me. Our wedding is tomorrow.’ His fingers graze my wrists and the touch sends pinpricks of electricity zapping through my skin. I bite my lip to keep myself from moaning out loud.
‘You should have thought about that before walking into my bedroom this part of the night. Why did you wait so long, Liyah? I was expecting you days ago.’ He whispers. His brown eyes turned to smouldering flames. I could not speak. I did not know how to answer given the fact that his fingers kept toying with the hijab on my head.
‘What? Why?’ I finally ask but he doesn’t answer. He pulls the veil from my head and then starts for the sash securing the tunic in the back. I move away from him, stopping him from stripping my clothes off. ‘Answer me first.’ I ask hotly. My cheeks were warm and my insides taut. I wanted to kiss him. I needed him to kiss me but I restrain myself from jumping on him like a mad woman.
He sighs after giving me a dirty look then he moves to sit on a soft plush comfy chair.
‘Because...you were so naughty, reckless and decisive when we were young. I thought you would be the same girl. Besides, it isn’t as though you haven’t disobeyed me before. Why wouldn’t you do as you please now?’ he continues when I don’t say anything. ‘So. You missed me.’
‘I did?’ For a split second it scares me because I think he knows about my feelings. How much I truly cared for him. But that could not be right. This was Adi, the man who was oblivious to those around him and their feelings. But if I did not come here because I missed him then why else would I step into the bedroom of the man I did not want to marry in the middle of the night? I was so obvious. Darn it!
‘Why else would you be here?’ he asks exactly what I had been thinking.
‘I don’t know.’ I sputter. It was only a half truth and the pull on his lips shows that he knew me all too well and could call my bluff. ‘What is really going on with you and Elena?’ I ask him as I try to change the subject. But he ignores my question for five long minutes. I deflate unhappily. ‘I should leave then. Goodnight Adi.’
‘Wait!’ Adi calls. I turn to face him but just before he starts to say something, the door bursts open and Elena stumbles in, distracting the two of us. The guard from earlier was trying to talk to her but she pushes past him easily. Not that he couldn’t restrain her. The male guards would never touch a woman unless they were ordered to.
Adi starts to swear and I stumble back into the room. He walks past me and asks the guard to call the hospital.
Why was he calling the hospital?
‘Elena. Again, why are you here? How are you even getting past security? Are the doctors even doing their jobs?’ He mumbles as he presses his fingertips against his forehead.
‘I heard about your wedding tomorrow. Philip! You’re still marrying that goody two shoes. But what about me? Don’t you care that I love you?’ she croons and Adi wrings his hands. His shoulders were tense and posture rigid. If he loved her, he would not react to her in such a way. Would he?
Wow! This was like a TV soapie.
‘Elena. You and I were only friends and we...we were never truly in a relationship. You don’t love me. Calm down.’ Adi starts to walk toward her but he stops mid-stride and glances at me. His face betrays his emotions and I was confused by the shameful expression he had on. He was sorry but why? I start to walk toward him when Elena notices me.
‘Who is this, Philip? Another one of your whores?’ she spits out as I gasp.
‘No Elena. She is a maid.’ He lies and sends me a panicked look but his voice is steady. I bite the inside of my cheek to stuff the words threatening to spill. If I said or did anything right now it would only make things even more difficult than it already was. Something was wrong and Adi expected me to cover for him like I always did before. But for some reason, I felt like I was not supposed to be doing anything here. Especially since he kept me in the dark about everything. If I said anything, I could unintentionally make it worse. Even as these thoughts ran through my mind, I couldn’t help coming back to the fact that he had just referred to me as a maid and not his soon to-be wife.
I start for the door but Elena quickly steps in front of me, blocking my path. She was wearing a slim fitting red dress that had a long slit in the front. Her cleavage was showing and her long hair was left loose. She was beautiful and I felt a pang of jealousy poke me.
‘A maid? Wasn’t I your maid? Look at what happened to me Philip? Who are you?’ she demands when I start to move away.
‘I am nobody important.’ I tell her, my voice is quiet but surprisingly calm. I was starting to suspect that something was off about Elena. Was she ill? Her eyes were shaky and unfocused. Her hands were also twitchy. I take a closer look at her and realise that she has no shoes on. Her feet were dirty and black with soot or possibly mud?
Elena suddenly starts mumbling gibberish as her hands wring this way and that. I want to ask Adi what was wrong but he brushes past me, already trying to calm her down. He speaks to her soothingly and it surprises me because I never knew he could be so gentle. Suddenly, Elena starts laughing hysterically and I jump at how loud she was. It was terrifying to be around such behaviour.
‘Liyah check on what’s keeping the ambulance!’ Adi orders me just as Elena falls into his arms. I rush outside only to find a flurry of activity in the hallway. Paramedics were wheeling in a stretcher and a female doctor in a lab coat followed closely behind them. I notice Auntie and Uncle coming behind the group. Their faces were scrunched up in concern and I hastily take my cue to leave.
If they caught me in this white tunic, I wouldn’t hear the end of it.
As soon as I open my door, Sara rushes toward me. Her waiting smile is the one thing that breaks me. She had been expecting happy news. But I start sobbing uncontrollably as I slide to the floor. She rushes forward and sits down with me. Rubbing me on the back soothingly as I cry out all my tears.
Tomorrow I was getting married and the worst part was not knowing anything that had been going on around me. Why did everyone keep me in the dark? Shielding me and protecting me from everything else in this world. It was actually only hurting me.
The heart wrenching part was that whenever I tried to figure anything out, I always got burned.

                                   *****
‘Bloody F-’
‘If you swear, I will have your head, Adi!’ my mother interrupts.
‘Its fine.’ My father waves his hand and I flop back into my chair. He was having a drink, something I never saw him do before. Mother was standing beside him. They looked every bit the Royal couple. Although, the worry lines on their faces made me feel ashamed to call myself their son. 
‘This is becoming a nightmare!’ I mutter. Aaliyah was never going to forgive me. How was I supposed to explain all of this to her when even I had no clue as to what was really going on now. Elena believed that she was inlove with me. After the scene at the engagement party, I took her to the psychiatric ward at one of our bests hospitals but she had managed to escape from there too. Everything only seemed to be making her worse.
‘Does she not have any family, Adi? We are not the right people to be handling this.’
I look at my mother and nod my head. ‘She has a sister, Suzanne or something. I will have to bring her here. It will be easier for Elena to leave that way.’ I turn to my father and he nods.
I open up the email app on my cell phone and send a message to the new secretary back at my Company.
This could not wait any longer. It was only making things get more and more messy. In a few hours I was going to marry the only woman I wanted haunting me and instead I had to deal with Elena’s breakdowns instead.
The whole thing was starting to drive a wedge between Aaliyah and me. I tried to go to her when we all got back from the hospital. I wanted to reassure her about the wedding tomorrow but it was futile. Her doors were locked. She even asked her handmaiden to let me know that she was not to be disturbed. I felt raw. I was hurting her, but that wasn’t the only reason I hated myself...I had hurt her too many times now over the past eight years. It would be absurd to think she would ever forgive me.
I had a gnawing feeling in my gut that she would leave me. Maybe this was what would make her run away this time. Everyone said that she loved me but I had no clue as to how true that was. From the time I had asked her to marry me, the only things she had said was how much she did not love me and how cruel it was of us to force her into this.
But I loved her. I would die for her. I needed her in my life and I was desperate to keep her here - in Bahrain. Even if she wanted to travel the world, she would have to marry me first before she got to do anything else!