Chapter 5

‘Why are your eyes so puffy?’ Faiza asks me.
‘I couldn’t sleep last night. I was too nervous.’ It was the truth. I had no idea if Adi was even going to show up today.
‘You’ll be fine. What were you even nervous about? You are marrying your childhood sweetheart. How romantic is that. At least it wasn’t like how I was forced to marry that fat pig?’ Afsa drawls and everyone snickers.
‘Who? Farooq?’ I ask, perplexed, but she just waves as though it was nothing.
Amrita brings the red heavy necklace from the dresser and places it around my neck. Auntie Fatima helps straighten it out. Someone was attending to my anklets but I didn’t know who it was. Bangles were placed around my wrists and a shawl neatly over my head. Faiza starts doing my make up again.
‘You have it good, Aaliyah. Adi is so handsome, tall, flat tummy and probably has abs as well. He doesn’t gorge on food the whole day. He baths everyday.’ She sighs.
‘If I didn’t know any better I would assume you were all his fan girls and not his cousins.’ I laugh quietly and the girls all giggle.
‘Oh hush you girls.’ Auntie Fatima admonishes them as she gestures for me to stand up. My yellow traditional outfit was quite heavy.
‘Auntie, why do I need the jewellery? I saw your photos. You hardly wore any on your wedding day.’
‘Its just because you are the future Queen of Bahrain. Also, most of the guests out there are expecting you to flash your wealth.’
‘But I don’t own a penny. I don’t even know if Adi is getting a dowry.’ The girls start snickering again but Auntie Fatima raises her hand and they all keep quiet.
‘Girls, everything is ready. You can all go to the venue. I will bring Liyah.’ They all wave at me then leave. I start to put on my shoes but Auntie asks me to sit with her. She takes my hands in hers and tilts my head back to look straight into my eyes.
‘Liyah. I know how you feel. About everything. You are a modern girl stuck in an ancient world. If your parents were alive, maybe you would not have lived the same life. But please know that whatever was kept secret from you was only because your Uncle Ali wanted to protect you. Your father was like an older brother to him. He cares for you more than he does for Adi. Believe me when I say I feel the same about you. You are not a pauper. You are soon to be married to a Prince and soon, you will be crowned Queen. Besides, your parents left you an inheritance. But that is not important now. When your Uncle and I leave after your honeymoon to have our own vacation, I will ask our lawyers to come speak to you about everything that is yours. Okay?’
I was shocked. There was more that I didn’t know about. But I nod my head dutifully and Auntie puts a veil made of flowers over my head. No one was supposed to see my face until after the wedding ceremony.
A few minutes later, we all leave and head for the mosque. I only get to hear Adi’s voice when we arrive and despite us not being allowed to see one another, I wanted to ask him so much. However, this was neither the right time nor the place. I had to be grateful though, at least he showed up for the wedding and wasn’t dumping me for his sick girl friend. Gosh! That sounded wrong on too many levels. Was I marrying a taken man? I wanted to throw up my breakfast.
Immediately, we are told to take our seats which were separated by large mirrors. It was tradition which allowed us to only see each other’s reflection.
Soon after, everyone else takes their seats and then it all begins.

The ceremony was even more tiring than I expected. It went on and on for hours. I wished I had managed to get a bit of sleep last night. I had to pinch myself regularly to keep from dozing off.
Adi didn’t even smile once. Not even during the part where he had to ask me to marry him. Following the ceremony at the mosque, we were heading back to the palace by car. The atmosphere was heavy with a silence so loud, my ears throbbed. Adi still hadn’t said a word about what had happened last night. He kept glancing at the driver of the car but I was too tired to ask for any information. I was legally his wife now. Even if he did not feel the need to respect our new situation, I felt no need to beg for things I would never receive.
I already figured out that Elena was a psychiatric patient. Her illness must have flared up when Adi left. That was why she had come here. Then when she found out about the wedding, it must have affected her even more. But who was she? She said she loved him. He knew her and he was worried about her and even personally taking care of her. That showed for something. Even if he did not love her, he had some kind of feelings for her.
I peek at Adi. His focus was on his cell phone. Maybe he was checking on Elena’s condition. He did have a worried look on his face.
I sigh from relief when the palace comes into view. When the car finally comes to a stop, we exit together and welcome the congratulatory messages from those surrounded around us. However, as soon as I enter the palace doors and without anyone’s prying eyes watching my every move, I quickly move through the corridors that led to my quarters. Adi rushes to catch up to me but I pick up my pace and make sure to lock my doors behind me before he can reach me. I sigh with relief when I hear receding footsteps. This was good. I needed some time to myself. Just as I start for the bed, I stop when I finally notice the sight of a mountain of clothes on top.
‘Ma’am? I was just moving all of your clothes to your new room.’ Sara explains as she points to the bed.
‘Oh. You can still do that. I just wanted to take a short nap.’ I tell her.
‘Yes, Ma’am. I will get your clothes for tonight’s party ready. Your luggage has also been packed.’ She points and I see that indeed, I was ready for my honeymoon. Only it wouldn’t be a honeymoon. Adi was too caught up on his Elena to even bother with me. I wished I did not have to go. But it was expected of me and so I couldn’t say no.
The celebratory party was something I had been dreading since this morning. Wasn’t it enough that there had been parties and festivities ongoing ever since it was announced that we were getting married? And now it was done. I was married and a wife, his wife. There was really no need for us to keep partying for this farce of a marriage.
I sigh and head for the bed.
This front of mine was cracking. It took up too much of my energy to put up such a pretence for the world. What I needed was a short nap and then I would be able to put on the fake smile that had been carrying me all this time. I just hoped that this was all worth something as I put my head on my pillow and sigh. My heavy lids close and I drift off into a dreamless sleep.
Suddenly, a loud banging on the door has me sitting up. It was dark and I blink my eyes groggily only to hear fireworks bursting outside. Had I imagined it all? Sara comes in and the drowsiness from before fades away. Sara helps me get dressed. My outfit was a long sleeved midnight-blue full length silk dress. It was comfortable to wear. Not too goddy or too plain. The dress was one of the most beautiful additions to my closet. My hair is left down but I use the matching silk shawl of the dress and loosely secure it around my head.
Seconds later, Adi steps into my room and despite the dread hanging over me like a guillotine, my insides turn gooey at the sight of him. He was dressed in a tuxedo and gosh did he look handsome. When his gaze lands on me, I practically melt like butter on a hot plate. Thoughts of Elena vanish when he directs his breath-taking smile at me and just like that, my sour mood evaporates.
‘Are you ready, Aaliyah?’
‘Y-yes,’ I stutter and he smiles at me again.
He holds out his hand and I take it. However, instead of going to the thatched patio where the party was to be held, we walk to the driveway where a line of cars were waiting. A few of Adi’s close family members surprise me by throwing confetti over our heads as we pass by. I burst out laughing as the rice bounces against my cheeks and Adi surprisingly gives me a kiss on my lips as a camera man takes a picture.
His parents wish us a safe trip. Auntie Fatima gives her son a kiss on his forehead and she gives me a long comforting hug. We both shed a few tears for no apparent reason and Uncle Ali has to break us apart.
‘Why did we avoid the party?’ I ask Adi as soon as we start moving away.
‘I told everyone that you were tired and it was better to leave for our honeymoon ASAP. Was I wrong?’ He voice is calm, soothing.
‘No. I don’t think that anyone would miss me.’ I smile. Happy for once. I thank him and he smiles at me. I wonder briefly where we were going to because there was no car waiting for us. It was a helicopter. I squash away the nervousness of being so close and alone with Adi and ask the one question I was happy to ask. ‘Where are we going?’
Adi smiles shyly at me and then goads me with a mundane answer, ‘Oh just here and there.’
He straps me into the seat and puts a pair of headphones over my ears. After making sure that I was secure, he does the same to himself.
The helicopter blades start to rotate. As we lift off, immediately a pang of excitement fires to life within me. I look out the window to see the ground falling further away. This tastes like freedom, I almost squeal out from excitement. However, Adi points at the window and I am captivated by the sight down below. The palace was beautiful from above. From here, in the sky, it actually did not look in the least like a cage.
Whilst I am still distracted by the view, Adi pulls out his cell phone and again I wonder if it was to check on Elena. I still couldn’t muster the courage to speak to him about her. I wanted to know what their story was, but whenever I tried to bring the subject up, my tongue would just lose its resolve.
I sigh, feeling defeated. How did he expect me to be his wife when he only kept secrets and wanted me to follow his orders, including that damned contract of his? He never considered how I felt about everything and still hurt me by keeping me in the dark. For all I knew, this was just a plot to buy into his parents’ good graces. He would become king, I would produce an heir or two and then I would be tossed aside.
If only I hadn’t signed that contract. I could have ran away and never looked back. Or maybe not. If I had left last night, it would have devastated Aunt and Uncle. They were so happy about Adi and me being married and had a lot riding on us. It would have been wrong if I had let them down for my own selfish desires. I was not the same as Adi.
The thinking begins to wear me down and just half an hour into the helicopter ride, my eyes start to close. I fall asleep and start to dream. I see myself as a twelve year old child. Adi and I were running away. We hid under the low wooden table in the pantry. I could hear Uncle Ali’s laughter rumbling through the walls. Auntie Fatima was calling our names but Adi held his finger to his lips. He wanted us to hide.
‘Shh don’t make a noise.’ Adi whispers in my ear and I smile deviously when he produces the pastries that he stole from the cooling rack. We gobble them up and sigh happily. Adi kisses me on my cheek and then we fall asleep.
I was only vaguely aware of someone carrying me and I snuggled closer as I grew more content with my dream.

                                   *****
As soon as we arrived at the palace. I received the message informing me that Elena had left Bahrain with her sister. It was a relief!
When I went to check on Aaliyah, she was already sound asleep. It wasn’t surprising that yesterday’s events tired her out. However, what was worse...her eyes had been puffy during the wedding ceremony. It only gave away the fact that she had spent the night crying and unable to sleep. Not that I had much sleep last night either. I kept walking around, hoping that I wouldn’t bump into her all backpack-ready and making a run for it. I shake my head again at the incredulity of the thought. Aaliyah was not a coward. She would never truly run. Besides, she was the most selfless person I knew. Aaliyah would never hurt others in order to get what she wanted.
It was like a breath of fresh air, knowing that she was going to be sleeping a wall away from me and not in the next wing of the palace anymore. It was something I had been waiting for since forever.
I guess I was really making decisions based on her emotions at the moment since I changed the scheduled evening plans just so that she could have more time to rest. Even though the party had been in full swing, I wanted to leave with Liyah as soon as possible. If anything, I wanted to be away from all the chaos and just be alone with her.
Our lives together was only just beginning and there was no reason to spend it dancing and drinking apple juice wit everyone else when we could be spending time with one another, alone. So, leaving Bahrain quietly had been the best decision.
When we finally arrive at my private home in Nabih Saleh, I walk out and carry Aaliyah inside. The lights were still on, just as I asked Sharona - the housekeeper, to leave them.
I had this place built a few months ago. I really designed it for Liyah when I finally accepted that I had to leave America to come back to Bahrain. This secluded island’s purpose was to be a sort of home away from home for the two of us. I imagined whenever we got some time off from running the country, I wanted us to come here to enjoy ourselves. And so it also served as the best most private place for us to begin our honeymoon. I wanted us to christen the place together for our very first visit.
After carrying Aaliyah up the stairs and putting her comfortably on the bed, I slip off her shoes and take in her small cute feet. Her nails were painted pink and I found myself grinning like an idiot. I shake my head and move to the luggage that had already been brought up. After rummaging around in the first one, I give up. I had no clue as to where her night things were packed.