I don't really care

"Sydney. Sydney? Sydney!" Tai grabs my shoulders and shakes, startling me out of my thoughts.

I blink rapidly and look at him. "What?"

"Are you thinking about that straight boy again?"

"Shut up," I shove him away. "Go back to eating your fish or whatever."

"It's not fish," He scoffs indignantly, poking his 'not fish' with his plastic fork. "That's racist."

"Sure it is," I roll my eyes. "Our little duo here is very offensive to everyone."

"No it's not! I was only homophobic at first! And not even for very long!"

"Still."

"And you make weird jokes about me all the time!"

"At least they aren't actually racist."

"I guess."

"I could assume something that looked and smelled like fish was fish without being racist."

"Fine."

"Yeah, that's right, I win."

"Shut up."

I smirk and lean back on the chain fence, fiddling with my water bottle in one hand. My eyes land on Tim and stay there, as much as I try to pry them away so Tai won't fuss about it.

I watch him, and this time, unlike yesterday, Tim says something that gets everyone in his group laughing hysterically. The red head— Ream, I think his name is— actually folds over, and the one with wavy brown hair— Liam— has to hit his back so Ream can breathe. Tim looks very proud of himself for whatever he just said.

"I wonder what they're talking about," Tai voices my thoughts, and I flinch. He glances at me and rolls his eyes. "I mean, what with Cameron giving us that suspicious glare, I can be curious."

I frown and shift my gaze to Cameron, who keeps looking from Tim to me and back again, and, to Tai's credit, with a suspicious look in his eyes.

"You should go to the bathroom," Tai says suddenly. I blink.

"Why?"

"Because," He winks. "The bathroom is over there..." He tilts his head over to where Tim and Cam's group are sitting by the doors. "And maybe you can accidentally hear some stuff..."

"Ohh," I nod slowly, understanding. Eavesdropping at it's finest. "But what if-"

"Shut up and go pee," Tai shoves me up, and I shoot him a dirty look before getting to my feet and brushing off the grass from my pants.

I start walking over to the hallway, making sure to 'accidentally' stray a little closer to the group.

"Bro, that one's the best-" William is saying, but then he sees me walking past and raises his arm. "Hey, fag!"

I wince. It's been a hot minute since I last heard that word.

"Yo, don't call him that," Ream pulls up and elbows him in the ribs.

Tim whips around and spots me. He grins. "Hey, Sydney!"

"Come on over here!" William grins too, but not with the same purity as Tim's. "Let's chat!"

"Nah, I'm good," I shake my head and point a thumb behind me. "I'm just going to the bathroom."

"Yeah? Want me to go with-" William starts saying, but is cut off by Ream and Tim. Ream kicks him, and Tim interrupts him by waving and saying,

"Well, don't let us stop you!"

Cam remains silent.

I glance over to Tai, who's giving me all sorts of confused gestures and mouthing words I can't see because he's also still eating. I guess I'm on my own, then.

"Hey," Tim stands abruptly, startling William, who flinches. "That reminds me, I need to pee too."

"Bro, don't go with him-" William is once again cut off by Ream, who I'm beginning to like a little bit more. Tim casts a glance behind him, then jogs over to me.

"Hey," He whispers, grabbing my hand and tugging me towards the open doors. Once we're safely inside, he sighs. "I'm sorry."

"Why?" I ask, totally not completely focused on where his fingers lace through my own.

"Liam's really homophobic for some reason," He winces. "I just don't want you to listen to anything he has to say."

"Oh," I shrug, feeling his grip on my hand tighten slightly. "It's fine. I don't really care."

If only he knew how big of a lie those words are.