Chapter 7, Reunion

CHAPTER 7

"Wolfie! I made father's favorite lotus cakes!" Gan Xin ran to the inside of the cottage with a plank of short hardwood in his hand. On top, it was three pieces of round cakes colored golden yellow. "Mother's taste better but it's my first try. I hope you like it too"

He passed them to Wolfie, in front of her mouth. She was sleeping on the table.

"Luckily you showed me the forest years ago. There's a lot of fruits and vegetables! We can make a lot of dishes" he shoved the cakes to his mouth, patting the wolf on her head gently as she continued sleeping against her front feet, calmly.

It's been two years since Gan Xin was kicked from Wei Zhuang. He learned how to survive the woods himself in the cottage he called a castle. The cottage was average in size bug enough for him and Wolfie. Gan Xin is fifteen now. He grew up with a nice mature clean face decorated with a charming smile. He grew quite tall as time passed and there would be nights when he started staring blankly on the floor thinking about the incidents while Wolfie would be sitting on him for comfort.

As Gan Xin was enjoying the sweet dessert and patting Wolfie with the other hand,

"Grr," The grinning of a pack of wolves lingered, sounding furious outside of the cottage. As soon as it hit the inside of the cottage, Wolfie raised her head. Her sharp ears stood upwards, scanning the area for assurance. She ran outside all of a sudden, startling Gan Xin away.

"WOLFIE!" He called, worried. He chased the wolf, witnessing the battle before him.

It was Wolfie who was silver in color and approximately twelve more wolves of the same color. They were twice bigger than Wolfie herself and their grinning was intimidating. Gan Xin's heart skipped a beat.

"GRR," Wolfie grinned back as a warning to the pack. However, she knew she had no chance against the pack but she was actually protecting Gan Xin from the pack of her tribe, The Silver Guardian.

Two years ago, Wolfie was sent to eliminate foreigners, Gan Xin. But instead, she turned away from the tribe and stayed with Gan Xin.

She was hunted since.

Gan Xin was startled by the view of the pack of more silver wolves. He had no idea what did they came for but by scanning the expressions of the wolves, he realized that they came with a bad intention.

"Wolfie, should I let them bite my leg like how you did the first time we met?" He joked, looking at Wolfie grinning. "They might turn friendly like you?"

"Gan Xin, don't act stupid" a feminine voice hit his mind. "They want more than our feet"

"Wolfie, you're a girl?" His jaw dropped, repeatedly blinking his eyes in disbelief and shock. "I can talk to wolves now?"

"Get these wolves away first, Gan Xin!" Wolfie instructed. Her tone of voice was squeaky but not high-pitched. She started attacking, biting, and scratching the leader, just in front of her. The leader's eyes reflect anger and excitement to finally find the disloyal follower of his tribe.

"Be safe, wolfie" Gan Xin joined, growing cascading poisonous plants from his knuckles. The floral strand circled the wolves fast enough to get the wolves tied together and fell to the ground by their shoulders.

"You messed with the wrong Gan Xin, wolves!" Arrogantly he passed his thumb to his nose, proud. He carved a smile, circling the tied wolves.

"Where's Wolfie?" He scanned the area around the stream of water. "WOLFIE!"

Once again he felt a hit of panic, not seeing Wolfie around the area. He fell into a deep silence, instead started running around for more detailed observation.