sixty three: the boy who's too humble for his own good

Start from the beginning

Brenda looked annoyed from across the table. "Am I missing something here? This is the same girl who betrayed us, correct?" She shot a questioning look at Thomas, making him bow his head.

Newt, for the first time since he had returned from the streets of Wicked, spoke up from beside me.

"This isn't just about rescuing Minho, is it, Thomas?" The blonde said, his tone accusatory.

Thomas looked taken aback by the boy's comment, coming in to defend himself. "Newt... what are you-"

Newt very suddenly stood, moving closer to Tom. "What, are you afraid your little girlfriend's gonna get hurt?"

Why is he acting like this?

The blonde was nearing Thomas now, almost completely in front of him. "Newt..."

But Newt cut him off, not allowing his friend to finish. "Teresa is the only reason that Minho is even missing in the first place. Now we finally have an opportunity to get him back, and what? You don't want to because of her?"

Everyone else around the table looked at me, horrified. I stared at the boy, not recognising the person who was stood before me.

This was not the person who had kissed me on the edge of the cliff before Wicked invaded, or the boy who calls me love - or even the boy who makes sure I am the one with the majority of the blanket as we sleep.

This person isn't the boy I care for.

Newt took an even bigger step towards Thomas, completely cornering him now. "Because deep down inside you still care about her, don't you?"

Tom tried to cut in, to calm him down, "Newt, I..."

But that just made him angrier, and this time, the boy shoved Thomas against the wall, screaming in his face. "Don't lie to me!" Louder this time, "Don't lie to me!"

I caught a glimpse of Thomas' face, absolute fear stricken in his place. Everyone else around the room looked flabbergasted – shocked beyond belief that the gentlest person here is capable of such violence towards his closest friend.

It was as if something switched on in Newt, and he was suddenly shaking off the anger, and stepping away from the boy. He blinked rapidly, coming back to reality before turning to face the rest of us.

He looked confused, shocked within himself, before appearing as if to say something.

"I'm sorry." The blonde said, looking at Thomas with so much guilt. He turned to the crowd, nodding his head and mumbling an apology also.

But then Newt turned to me, grief and sorrow scribbled across his face. He whispered, so quietly I almost didn't hear it – possible tears welling in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry."

Newt didn't stay in the council room for more than 5 seconds, immediately heading for the door and probably heading to the common area or somewhere quieter.

Once he was gone, the people remaining turned in their chairs, still in shock.

Thomas moved slowly from the wall, creeping closer to where I sat. Because he knew – he knew that I had made the connection just as everyone else had.

That wasn't really Newt.

"Y/n..." Thomas begun, but I interrupted him.

"Don't," I swallowed. "What do we do?"

--

I figured he wouldn't be sat in the common area, so I went with my gut and wondered out to the cliff edge.

I knew he would be there – it's as close to home as either of us could get.

Following the directions Gally had ever so kindly given me, I walked out to the outdoor section of their camp. It was warm out today, and the spot I noticed the blonde sitting in over looked the Wicked building.

It loomed over the sides, intimidating onlookers to stay away and keep out. Too bad that never actually works.

I walked up to where the boy was sat, coming to a stop behind him. I knew he knew I was there – I could tell, and I knew he was certain it was me.

"I'm sorry. About everything." The boy said, not even turning around to face me.

I wasn't angry before seeing him, but it crept back up the more I stood there, the longer I waited for him to tell me it's all a joke, and that he's fine.

"You have no idea how tempting it is to shoot you right now." I said, not intending it to be a joke, but he laughed anyway.

Newt still hadn't turned around, so I moved next to him, standing directly beside the boy.

I knew what I wanted to ask, it just seemed to get caught on my tongue. "Why didn't you tell me?" I finally asked, and the boy just sighed.

As if, he knew the questions where coming, but still hadn't prepared the answers.

"I didn't want to worry you, mostly. But then, I knew it meant that you wouldn't care about the opportunity to get Minho back anymore."

I laughed, almost disbelievingly. "Of course, I wouldn't! Are you insane? You are my main priority, Newt, not Minho."

The boy sighed quietly. "That's why I didn't tell you, love. I knew you would abandon ship if it meant I could survive."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Obviously I would! You have just as many reasons to survive as Minho does – why are you not seeing that?!"

"Y/n! I can see that, okay? I just know that Minho deserves to be rescued, and I refuse to get in the way of that." The boy said, staring up at me as if I was the one suggesting something absolutely mental.

"We can fix it, Newt. Let us fix it-" I pleaded, but he seemed sure. "Don't worry about me, okay? This is about Minho."

I scoffed. "You're dying, Newt! This isn't about Minho anymore!"

The blonde refused to get angry at my last remark – he bowed his head, and sighed. "Minho needs us, Y/n. So, if there is the slightest chance that we can save him, then we have to take that. No matter what the cost."

I stared at him, on the verge of shooting him and then myself. I didn't raise my voice, or scream at him for being stupid, instead, I spoke quietly.

"I don't like you being that cost. I will not allow you to die for that boy."

Newt nodded slightly, accepting what I was saying.

"We better rescue him quick then."

-

A/N: you ready for the next chapters? i'm not.

i'm sorry it took me so long to update this time, i've got exams back to back and it's absolutely insane at the minute. the updates will become more consistent again once we break up for christmas, so that's my xmas present to you all :p (unless you don't celebrate christmas then it's just a random gift because ily)

thank you all so much for 40k that's insane. you're all awesome <3