eleven: the argument

I woke up sweating profusely, almost certain that I had some sort of a nightmare, but for some reason I couldn't remember a thing about it. I sat up slowly, still trying to piece together anything that happened in it. I turned to my left and saw Chuck still snoozing peacefully. He looked so calm, I might go as far to say a little bit happy, but I know that due to us being here that was pushing it.

I got up quietly, my one aim being not to wake the boy as I walked over to the door and slipped outside. It was warm as the morning sun felt nice on my face.

I saw people moving in the distance as I swivelled my head over to look at them. It was Thomas and Minho, on their way into the maze. Must be around 7am then, as that's roughly the time Newt said the doors open.

The opening creaked open as both the boys jolted inside, Thomas falling behind slightly as he began to pick up the pace. They were gone in a flash as I stood and observed, just taking in the quiet.

"Morning. Didn't realise you were such an early bird." A voice behind me said, as I turned around to see Chuck rubbing his eyes. I smiled a little as I watched him join me outside.

We leaned against the wall together, enjoying the silene of the Glade. Before I broke it.

"Do you know if anyone here has a tattoo?" I asked, praying for the answer to be yes. He looked at me confused, and to be fair, I didn't blame him. Without context, the question made no sense, and if it were me being asked, it would just invite more questions. But I had to know if I was the only one. And if so, why?

"Er, not that I'm aware of. I mean, I don't anyway. Why do you ask?" He tilted his head towards me, as I looked away.

"I don't know, just curious I guess."

He shrugged in response. "I heard you were stabbed." My eyes immediately shot up, slightly annoyed at the fact that had gone around the Glade.

"Where did you hear that from?" I snapped, not angry at him at all, instead annoyed at whoever spread the rumour around. It could have been Jeff, as I highly doubt Newt would. Maybe someone saw it? But I quickly shook that thought away as I assured myself that was impossible.

I always wore tops that fell over my shoulder in a way that the scar would never been seen, and I was always making sure to wear only long-sleeved shirts to cover my strange mark.

"Oh, er I don't know. I just heard it from someone I guess." I looked back down at the ground, going over who knew about it in my head.

"I'm sorry for asking, I shouldn't have butted my nose in." My head advanced upwards again, looking him in the eyes.

"No, it's okay, I'm not annoyed. Just surprised it came up to be honest." He raised his eyebrows. "So, it's true then?" He seemed so intrigued in the subject, desperate to know even.

I sighed, realising I'm going to have to tell the boy the truth. "Yeah, it's true. I mean I think it is. I'm not even completely sure it is one, but Jeff seemed to be pretty positive about it."

"That's so cool. I've always wondered what it's like being stabbed." I laughed slightly, amused by his comment. "Believe me, I would trade if I could."

"Hey guys." My eyes diverted away from Chuck as they landed on Newt, walking at pace towards us. We both smiled at him as he reached where we were standing. He was wearing light brown shorts with a red top and a hoodie. He seemed decently well rested, but then again, you never knew in this place.

"What did I miss?" He asked, looking eagerly between the two of us. His smile felt so contagious it was challenging not to do the same, as his blonde hair moved around slowly in the wind.