twenty: the landing

It was a while before everyone else awoke, so Newt and I just stayed up talking. I'm sure us sleeping through the day and not the night will mess up our concept of time, but I didn't care as I know that I will still sleep tonight, anyway. I felt physically and mentally exhausted as I desperately came up with ideas of where we were going. Where they were taking us.

They came off as the people who rescued us, the people who killed everyone who chose to trap us in the Glade. But yet somehow, I don't trust them. Something about it was odd, I just can't figure out why.

The part of me that screamed that something was wrong and that they weren't telling the truth began to take over, as I contemplated confiding in the boy in front of me while I just watched his mouth move, not really listening to what he was saying.

I zoned back into the situation, hearing his voice speak quietly next to me, but instead of continuing to listen, I interrupted whatever he was saying.

"Do you trust them?" I said, locking my eyes with his as he furrowed his brows in confusion and tilted his head slightly to the side. "What do you mean?" He asked, moving his head a little closer to mine, our eyes still staying tightly on one another.

"Them. The people who 'rescued' us. Do you trust them?" He looked a bit taken aback by my question as a thoughtful look fell over his face. He was thinking intently, before returning his gaze back to me.

"I think so. Although, now thinking about it, maybe we should be cautious." I leaned back at his answer. I haven't known him for long, but the one thing I didn't think he was, was naive. I thought he would have already been considering it, that maybe things aren't exactly how they seem. Perhaps I was wrong, maybe his nature is more trusting than I once thought.

"Something about them...makes me feel uneased. I don't think they're telling us the whole truth." As I spoke, I peered over at the man who luckily was still fast asleep as I turned my head towards the door separating us and the pilots. I doubt they could hear us, but I just wanted to make sure. You never know who is listening.

"It might be just one of those things that we have to wait to find out." He said, turning his eyes to look back at mine, as his expression softened. He was always good at that. Making the situation somehow seem less awful, more comfortable.

"Yeah..." I trailed off my sentence, not really agreeing, but there wasn't anything else I could do. The only option was to wait it out. "I guess we'll wait and see."

"How long have you two been up then?" I heard a hoarse voice speak up from my right as I turned my head to see Minho, finally awake from his slumber. Newt moved his finger up to his lips, in order to shush the boy as he worried it would wake the others.

"Doesn't really answer my question now, does it?" He retorted, although quieter this time. I narrowed my eyes at the boy as he stood up carefully and plopped himself down on the floor in front of us. "What time is it?" He asked, turning his head at Newt, as he was one of the very few lucky enough to have a watch.

"Almost eight." He didn't even need to look down to check, indicating to me that he had been checking periodically throughout the time we were awake. "And the others still aren't up?" The boy tilted his head as he snorted in disbelief.

"It's been a long day. I think after everything, they need to sleep." I turned my gaze away from the two as I scanned through the group of kids around us. They did need to sleep. It was obvious in their faces, in their bodies.

"How are you guys doing?" Without even thinking about it my head shot back towards Minho, aware of what he was referring to, but surprised that he even asked. Newt put his head down, the memories, I'm sure, re-presenting themselves in his mind.

I didn't know what to say.

"Fine. Just waiting to get off this thing." Newt spoke quietly, his voice merely a whisper as he looked around the helicopter again before sighing. We had been here a while, so I understand why he was so restless about leaving.

"It's okay, shanks. We'll be home soon." A small, cheeky grin appeared on his face, just as the other's began to open their eyes.

--

It was basically pitch black now, as everyone who was previously dead to the world, had arisen. Everyone except Thomas. The boy laid still in the far corner, his face filled with fear and concern. Teresa stayed near him, checking here and there if he still looked just as restless. Every time she turned back; her face indicated that he still did.

Everyone chatted among themselves, the mood slightly uplifted as hope flooded through the air.

The man in the corner said nothing. He just watched us talk, examining our every move. I felt that was suspicious.

Even though I was looking in the opposite direction, I could feel Newt's eyes watching me. Not saying a word, just inspecting the way I moved, looked and breathed.

"You like to stare, don't you?" I asked, keeping my eyes locked and narrowed carefully on the guard, watching his every move just as Newt watched mine. My expression stayed cold as a wide smile appeared on the boy's face.

"Your peripheral vision is excellent." He chuckled slightly as finally; a small grin grew on my lips. For the first time in probably about twenty minutes, I removed my stare from the man and landed it on Newt. "Yes, I'm becoming quite aware of that."

I barely got my last word out as one of the pilots bolted through the door.

"IT'S GO TIME." He bellowed, immediately grabbing everyone's attention as the mood shifted again. The guard stood up abruptly as he ushered people towards the doors.

Newt looked at me perplexed before standing up quickly. I followed his actions as I watched the man hurling orders at the others.

Minho rushed over to Thomas, shaking him violently to wake the boy up, before finally his eyelids blinked open. The boy looked panicked, as Minho yelled in his face to get up.

He was immediately pulled to his feet as the helicopter thudded to the ground.

We had finally landed. 

-

A/N: I forgot to say this before but thank you guys sm for 700 reads!! It honestly means so much and I really hope you are enjoying the story. I know their relationship is moving slowly but i swear it's worth it :) 

Have a good day <333