thirteen: the pit

Newt's POV:

The Med-Jack's carried Thomas to the pit as Gally fought with Teresa and Y/N about joining him. What did Alby mean when he said 'always his favourite'? Who is he talking about?

I can't even ask Y/N as she can't remember.

Th boy was so persistent with it. That they deserved to be punished just as much as Thomas did. But why?

I snapped out of my thoughts and peered over at the three of them still squabbling. Gally was visibly angry as Y/N seemed as if she was desperately trying to calm herself down. We knew what she got like when she was angry, and I'm sure Gally doesn't want to relive that experience.

Behind Gally were his loyal followers, swarming around the group like hawks. But this time they arrived holding spears. He acted like some sort of leader around them, like he was in control of what they did. But none of them disagreed or argued with him. 

"If you both don't go into the pit in the next two seconds, then we'll be forced to take affirmative action." Gally declared, crossing his arms over his chest, thinking that he had got them beat.

"Fine. Take your fucking affirmative action then. I'm not getting in that fucking cage." Y/N hissed at Gally, taking him and everyone else by surprise with how firm she was with standing her ground.

"Gally, this is unnecessary and you know it." I began, hoping to diffuse the situation before something bad happens. "I understand putting Thomas in there for the time being, but not them. They haven't done anything." Gally tried to protest but I raised my hand to shush him as I continued.

"Just because Alby said that, doesn't mean it's true. Come on, the boy was badly stung and very unwell. You saw him, did he look in the right mental state to be throwing around accusations like that?" Gally's jaw clenched and if anything, he looked just as angry than before, if not more so.

"If that's what you really think Newt, then you can join them." He said with a smirk tugging on his face as his band of idiots turned their sharpened spears in my direction.

"Gally are you being serious? You can't just lock away everyone who disagrees with you. Newt is the second in command, not you." Y/N explained, coming to my defense as I flashed a grateful smile at her. She smiled back at me too as a fluttering feeling appeared in my stomach. Almost like butterflies were loose in my body. 

Gally turned his full attention back to her as he crept closer, almost directly in her face. She maintained stiff eye contact as she showed no emotion, sadly she was very good at that.

Emotionless.

"If you don't go to the pit immediately, I will put you there myself. The spears can be a helping reinforcement if you don't move quick enough." He hissed, seething with anger, however mostly keeping his voice low and to a whisper.

Y/N narrowed her eyes and stared at him through a glare for a few seconds.

"Fine. I'll got to the pit, but don't you dare come near me like this again. Or I will rip your shrill little head from your body, do you understand me?" She said, her voice becoming calmer and quieter, but still angry and forceful. She looked completely serious, and I don't doubt for a second that she would hesitate at all with doing what she said if she was given the opportunity.

"Good." Was all he said, before two of his friends came up behind her and grabbed her arms behind her back. She looked enraged again before lashing out. She spun around immediately as she brought her knee up to one of the boy's stomach, colliding her leg into his rib cage with great force, before turning to his partner who was still desperately trying to refrain her. The boy fell to the floor with a loud thud as the kid who was still latched onto her let go.

"Sorry, sorry, I'm so sorry!" He sobbed before falling to his knees in front of her. He looked so frightened and frail as she looked back at him confused. I mean, to be fair to her, it was impressive.

She turned back to Gally again, her eyes looking furious. "I never said for your buffoons to escort me, dickhead. You can walk with me to make sure I get there, but if you pull anything like that again, just know it won't be them on the floor crying." And with that she turned away, heading towards the individual cells we had lined up.

Me, Gally and Teresa all looked at each other in total shock, not sure if what we had just seen was real as we all turned to run after her.

--

The next morning rolled around slowly. I promised Y/N that I would stay outside the pit the whole night. And I did.

After a while, Chuck and Minho joined me as I told them the story of how she kicked Gally's gang to the floor crying. They hung onto my every word, especially Chuck. He seemed to have a small soft spot for the girl.

And to be honest, I think I was beginning to grow one too.

Thomas would often talk in his sleep, muttering things under his breath that we couldn't understand as his head rested softly on Teresa's lap, who was also asleep.

For whatever reason though, I still couldn't get those words out of my head. 'Always his favourite.' 

'his'. 

I don't know what it was, but it just stayed with me.

Whatever they meant, they stuck out to me like a flash of colour in a black and white portrait.