12. | Always a Loophole

Once the house appeared, Evelyn ran inside

Once the house appeared, Evelyn ran inside. Quinn sat in the living room beside the entrance, watching TV.

"Quinn." Evelyn breathed in relief.

"Ev." Quinn spoke, standing up and running to her. They both engulfed each other in one another's arms.

"I thought something happened to you." Evelyn whispered.

"The feeling's mutual." Quinn whispered, making them both laugh slightly. They pulled away and smiled at each other.

"Told you. You never believe me." The voice spoke to Quinn, but she ignored it.

"Lynn?" Hayley called out, making Evelyn turn around. Hayley rounded the corner, and Evelyn smiled brightly.

"Mom." She sighed and ran into her arms.

"You scared me half to death." Hayley sighed, smoothing down her hair.

"You scared me." Evelyn whispered, making Hayley laugh slightly. Oliver and Jackson walked in as Hayley and Evelyn pulled away.

"Ev, I'm sure you know where your old room is?" Hayley asked, and Evelyn nodded.

"Oliver, come with me." Evelyn told, and he nodded, following her up the grand staircase.

"You wanna explain to me why there's a mansion in the middle of the woods?" Oliver questioned.

"I wouldn't say it's a mansion."

"Oh, really?" Oliver ran up the stairs, pinching Evelyn's sides and making her yelp. He wrapped his arms around her as they both laughed, walking up the rest of the steps. "It definitely looks like one." Oliver commented, observing.

Evelyn shrugged as he followed her down the hall.

"And," Evelyn opened a door at the end of the hall. "Here we are." Evelyn finished.

Oliver walked in, Evelyn following behind. Evelyn moved around Oliver and jumped onto the bed, smiling.

"So many memories." Evelyn huffed, staring up at the ceiling.

"You lived here as well?"

"For a little while. When I was six and, I think, ten?" Evelyn pondered.

"It's a nice house." Oliver muttered, sitting beside her on the bed.

"Yeah, but there's a downside." Evelyn sighed, sitting up.

"What's that?"

"This house wasn't ever cloaked. Which means that if my dad or Hope does a locator spell, they'll find all of us."

"Speaking of, what did he say to you earlier?" He furrowed his brows.

Evelyn hesitated. "He said...he would kill me and make all of you..." She paused, breathing in a shaky breath.