Chapter 17

Xiao.

"My.....birthday?" Aether said, his eyes wide. "What's the date today, Paimon?" He asked.

"It's March 15, your birthday!" Paimon answered.

Aether didn't say anything as his eyes went around the people who were standing before him.

"I stumbled upon your records on Jean's office table," Venti plucked a chord. "I saw it 2 months ago. We all consider you as our friend and you've helped us a lot which makes us feel closer to you. All friends celebrate one's birthday together, right?" He smiled.

"Let us show our care for you through this party." Zhongli said. "Our paths may not always cross throughout your journey, But we do hope that the memories we'll share with you today will live forever in your heart."

"I...." Aether was at loss of words. After a while, he took a deep breath and spoke up. "I never celebrated my birthday before. Even with my sister......" his eyes saddened for a bit but shook his head. "Thank you, everyone!"

I sighed. His birthday indeed reminds him of his days with his sister. It really is a pain being reminded of something like that.

Still, all of us cheered. We can't be sad in such a special occasion, after all. "Let's go inside, Aether! The great feast is over there." Venti pulled Aether and both of them ran inside. I, on the other hand, followed through. As we enter the mansion, a long table was in the middle of the main hall, a scrumptious feast ready. They've set up a bar corner as well, with a red haired man with attractive facial features, whom I believe was Diluc, serving shots and other drinks for the adults.

"How did you managed to arrange all of these in a short time?" Aether said in disbelief.

"Considering the number of people who came here, no wonder." Venti giggled.

Suddenly, Xiangling went out of the kitchen along with Chongyun, Xingqiu, and Xinyan, holding a huge serving of cake. Staring at it makes my stomach upset. How much sugar did they waste on that cake?

"Lunch time!" Xiangling yelled. Klee, I believe considering her pair of bright ruby eyes and a.....bomb....on her hand?

Anyway, she was just infront of the main door. She nodded at Xiangling's call and went out. "Lunch time!" She yelled, catching everyone's attention. At last, everyone was on their desired seats. "Ah, traveler. I'll be performing for your birthday, so I'll stay at the bar corner for a while. You can sit on any table you want, 'kay?" He, once again, winked before leaving us two by ourselves.

"Follow me, I'll introduce you to some of my friends." Aether smiled. I can only nod in return. To be honest, I don't have any idea how this party will turn out with me attending. I'm worried that something might happen because of my curse.

Nothing like that happened in my years of living unless I unleash my power, but......

"Chongyun, Xingqiu, I want you both to meet Xiao. He's the one I've been talking about in the stories that I've told." Aether said, his gaze toward two boys occupying a round table for four, whose facial features familiar in my memories. Ah, I remember those two young kids running around the streets of Liyue Harbor with the same features, but younger. I've also seen them with Aether from the festival and it seems they're in great terms with each other.

"Hello," I said. The coral blue-haired boy, Xingqiu sighed. "Now we have two reserved boys in our team." Him and Aether laughed while the icy blue-haired boy, Chongyun, and I, stared at them with confused expressions. "Take a seat, you two." We both sat down along with them.

"If I'm going to be honest, this boyfriend of yours is indeed attractive." Xingqiu smiled, looking at me.

"What?" Chongyun turned his gaze towards Xingqiu, his eyebrow raised. "Aww, are you jealous, Yun-yun?" He teased.

"No." Chongyun's word felt bland.

"Come on, he's not going to steal me from you just because I find him handsome." Xingyun chuckled. Chongyun sighed, "I suppose." He said.

"Oh, so that does that mean you guys are already together?" Aether asked.

"Yup!" Xingqiu beamed, his smile comparable to the sun.

"It was just recently, though Xiangling was too joyful when she heard the news. Look carefully on the second layer of the cake, around 10 o'clock." Chongyun said. All of us looked at the cake, following Chongyun's instructions. We saw a sculpted figure of a cute version of them two, with Chongyun carrying Xingqiu in bridal style. "That's so adorable," Aether commented.

"It is, but she placed it right on your birthday cake." All of us sighed. Suddenly, a beautiful tune echoed across the hall. Venti, as expected, slowly walked towards the stage they must've made for the party. Finishing his song, he cleared his throat before speaking. "Greetings, everyone! I appreciate your presence right now as all of you are the reason of why this celebration has come into reality. I therefore express my gratitude through the song I had played. I hope everyone like it." Everyone, even us, had given him a round of applause. He bowed his head, mumbling his thanks. "As for our birthday celebrant," Venti's eyes found Aether almost instantly. He smiled sweetly before continuing, "Happy birthday! My purpose of climbing up to this stage isn't just for the attendees alone, but for you as well." He slowly strummed his lyre. "I spent months finding a song that will articulate what I have seen in you but I think I already have it down after seeing you a few hours ago in such a state that caught my heart......" the crowd's noise slowly dispersed as Venti cleared his throat.

He strummed various chords from his lyre, making a tune that suits a romantic approach. Venti then looked at me, smiling. I was just about to throw confused expressions to him when he diverted his gaze towards Aether. At last, he sang.

"When your legs don't work like they used to before."

My jaw dropped.

Chongyun coughed.

After that, Venti stopped singing and ended his song just as gracefully. "Thank you, everyone!" He hopped off the stage. The next thing we knew, a number of people started to perform as well. Enjoying the moment despite some of them being tone-deaf.

"What do you look so suprised for, Xiao? I do think Venti's performance was amazing." Aether said.

I only patted his head as Chongyun spoke on my behalf. "It's better for you not to know, Aether. Trust me on this one."

Xingqiu only chuckled, watching us three.

___________________________

ps. Aether's birthday isn't from the lore; that's my birth date :'D

___________________________