I heard a murmur run through the Whisperers court. "Who told you we possessed Panacea dust?" Alethia's eyes glinted. "A reliable source." I said curtly. "Please, I'm willing to pay whatever coin for it, and I have things to trade."

"We do carry Panacea dust." Alethia confirmed, nearly causing me to jump out of my seat. "But it is not for sale." She raised her brow with. "However, we could exchange a portion of it for an equal trade. "

"Name what you want and I'll give it !" I slammed my hand on the table, preparing to trade the old scrolls from the library. "We've got enough of spell scrolls." Alethia waved them away. "The only thing equal to the Panacea is your staff."

I clutched the weapon to my chest like a child's doll. "I can't."

"You want to save your beloved don't you?" Alethia persisted. "The staff is the only payment we'll accept." "I can't give away my staff." I said. "It's part of me. It's the only possession I have." "What's more important? A magic staff can be replaced, but a loved one cannot." Alethia asked.

Love is a powerful thing, but instinct is stronger. For a moment I considered giving away the only thing I had to my name if it meant saving Alucard's life, then my sense kicked in. "What would you do with my staff ? It's magic doesn't work in anyone else's hands but mine, unless you're desperate for a good walking stick or something to discipline your subordinates with."

Alethia's conniving stare made me rise from my seat. "I should go. You're right, I should be there for him until his time's come."

I forced the guards from the door with a earth spell. "Later!" I ran like hell through the courtyard, pursued by the Whisperers and their dark magic attacks. "Jeez you guys really know how to host someone!" I struck my staff on the ground and and stunned them with divine light before clouding the area with mist. I made a beeline for the gate and ran out speeding into the woods before it clanged shut. Shouts clamored through the forest.

"Find her!"

"She couldn't have gotten far!"

"Bring her back alive!"

I almost screamed when small hands clutched my cloak. It was the young girl, she put her finger her lips and tugged at my sleeves, leading me around the guards through the forest. "She wouldn't have given you the Panacea dust even if you traded your staff." She whispered.  I felt her shove something in my pocket. "You're her, I know it. The grownups can't sense it, but I can because I'm a child. He does to, he was screaming worse than normal when you walked through the gate, maybe you can save him."

"I have no idea who you're talking about." I whispered confused. "I'm not an errant hero , I've got my own friend to save, if I return to him without the Panacea, he'll die."

"If you save him, you can save your own friend too." The girl said before darting into the bush. "Hurry! You're close to the city. My clan won't go there because it's damned, so you'll be safe until you return."

"Thank you." I murmured, pulling the hood over my eyes and setting down the hill with my staff, coming onto a dirt road leading directly into town.

What mess had I gotten myself into?

There were no guards at the city gate, it wouldn't have shocked me if the place was completely abandoned. Targoviste was a shell of its former glory. This once vibrant city now in utter ruins, but unlike the decimated  towns I came across in my new life, the victims weren't innocent.

"This is Ground Zero." I murmured passing across its rotting bridge." Where it all began." It was here in, this very city where religious zealots executed  Lisa Tepes, Alucard's mother, and brought down a reign of literal Hell from his enraged father that spread across  Wallachia, and almost the world had not Alucard stopped him. The beginning of a bloody reign of terror continuing to this day despite Dracula's end.