Carter

Chapter Two: Carter

Liz and Ember, with the help of Isabella, finally convinced me to return to school. But I promised them that if I became too overwhelmed with it again, I was immeadiately going to leave. Some people that new me from before I moved were shocked to see me--and most of them were upset about me being back. If I'd told Liz about some of the insults they'd thrown at me, they'd probably go to sleep that night without waking up, but I didn't. For the first time in my life, what people were thinking of me didn't bother me. All that mattered was that Jasper was gone.

"Excuse me?"

"Jasper?!?" My head snapped up. I blushed. "Sorry, you sound a lot like someone I know."

The boy chuckled. "It's alright. Could you tell me where Mrs. Garcia's room is? I'm knew here."

Amazingly, this boy didn't seem like a stranger. He seemed so familiar. I'd definately never seen him before, but still.

"So, what's your name?" I asked as we headed to the Spanish classroom.

"My name is Carter...Carter Beckette."

"Carter..." It was all I could say. I was melting over his British accent, sounding so much like Jasper. And this Carter wasn't bad looking, either. It wouldn't hurt to date a little...I wasn't going to ever see Jasper again anyways...

"Yes, and yours?"

"J-J-Ju...June."

"Well, thanks for showing me the room, June," Carter said. I wished the room had been farther away, so that I could be with him for longer. As he slipped into it, he suddenly opened the door again and called me back.

"Yes?" I asked eagerly.

"Would you like to go out sometime?"

Was going back to school a good thing or what?!? I owed my friends majorly for this! "Yeah, that...that would be cool."

He smiled warmly, and wrote down his number on a slip of paper. I gave him mine, we bid goodbye, and I skipped to science class. Never ever had I been so happy to go to science! But I had this class with Liz, and I couldn't wait to tell her about Carter. 

"Liz! Liz! Liz! Liz!!" I was squealing and jumping up and down.

"Oh, crap. Please tell me you didn't see Jasper."

"No! But there's a new British student that is so gorgeous, and look what I got!" I said in a sing-songy voice, holding up Carter's number.

She cheered with me, smiled, then stepped back a little. "What is it with you and British guys?"

I shrugged. "But who cares?!?"

"Well, I think I like Rex."

I raised my eyebrows. I couldn't see Liz with Rex. For one thing, he was dead, and that didn't seem to be Liz's thing lately...or maybe she just didn't like demons.

"Really?"

She nodded. "He talks to me when other people aren't around...and he just is really nice."

He is? "Well, I bet if you asked him he would want to date you. I mean, in a best-friendy way, what wouldn't he like about you?"

"I doubt he likes me."

I rolled my eyes. "You won't know 'til you talk about it."

Before she could respond, the bell rang and we had to take our seats. We were forced through a boring lecture from Mr. Clark, but once we were seated with Isabella and Ember at lunch, I demanded details on her and Rex's conversations. Instead, she smoothly changed the subject to Carter. I told them about our little walk to Mrs. Garcia's room, and Ember freaked of course.

"Where is he?!? I have to see him, June!" She looked around the cafeteria excitedly.

"I don't know and I'm not going to find him just so you can embarass me!" I snapped.

"I would not embarass you!"

"Yes, you would. You would go on and on about me being pretty and I would be standing there, red as a tomato, as he just laughed at me."

"That's not embarassing!"

I sighed, ignoring her and returning to my chicken sandwhich. She was pleaing that I show her where Carter was, but I didn't even try to find him. I didn't want to see him right now. For some reason, I didn't need to. I guess that's normal high school girl feelings, (something about me is normal?!?) but with Jasper, it felt like I needed him at all costs, at all time. Maybe it was good that I didn't feel like that about Carter, because when he broke my heart--which I was ever so sure that he would--then it wouldn't hurt me as much as it hurt to be without Jasper.

Of course, I didn't know Carter that well yet. Those feelings may have been left in Alabama, and now they had to catch back up to me. I wouldn't be surprised.