Red Light, Green Light

This is dedicated to XParaleafX for my Missing Maddie Syndrome :P I told you i had ideas...now I finally wrote them down!

Chapter Twelve: Red Light, Green Light

Creeping up behind Jasper, Carter whirled around and winked at me. I tried to plea with him to stop and run, but I couldn't find my voice. My poor, doomed boyfriend jumped at the demon, latching onto his back. I ran up to try and pull him off, but I was too late. In a way, I was fashionably late, because what happened was exactly the reverse of what should have--or what would have ended both Carter and my life. Carter reached his arm around Jasper's neck, and their pale skin seemed to collide for a moment before everything was red--red with Jasper's blood.

Carter had ripped Jasper's head from his neck. I wanted to run and hug him, yet at the same time I wanted to hurl. I expected him to say something like,"There. I told you I could ensure your safety for myself," and smile sarcastically, but instead his face was viscous as he turned to me.

I whimpered as he seized my face violently in his hands. "You're mine," he growled.

Speechless, I tried to pull away. "What the--?"

In a movement so fast I couldn't track it, he moved my hair aside from my neck and dug his teeth into it. I moaned, and Rex, hearing me, jumped out of the car. "June!" he shouted trying to pull me away from Carter unsuccessfully. "June, wake up!"

Wake up?

I suddenly sprang from the soft seat of Rex's car, sweating and gasping for air, holding my mouth in utter shock.

"You fell asleep. Then you started screaming so I pulled over."

"Oh," was all I could say. I'd dreamed the whole scenario up.

"You, uh..." he trailed off, scratching the back of his head, as if to pry words from his mind. "You alright?"

I shook my head. "I won't be alright until I know Carter is okay...and Jasper is dead."

My tall, dark friend sighed deeply, and rolled his eyes. "I can kill the demon. That part will be easy...fun, even, but I don't want to save the other one. My only priority right now is to save you if you're in trouble."

"Wait! What?!? What gives you reason to think Carter is demon, now that you know he's not Jasper?"

"I didn't want to tell you this, but just remember that you asked."

I nodded in agreement, though I was starting to shake with nervousness.

"I saw him sucking the life out of a girl, behind the apartments."

"By sucking the life out of, you mean--?" I chocked on my own breath before I could finish the sentence.

"Yeah...I mean drinking her blood."

My mind suddenly revolted into flashbacks of when I was with Jasper.

"V-v-v-va-vam-vampire...Jasper, she's d-d-dri-drinking my blood..."

"I know, and it smells really good..."

"What?!? You're a vampire, too?"

"No, neither of us are...remember when I told you it was really complicated?"

No one ever explained the complication of demons. Rex and Zoe, being dead, they had to know. And Liz, with her superhuman ammount of textbook knowledge on demons, she probably did too. But no one ever told me. Maybe it was simply because I'd never asked.