VII - I Need To Let You Go

Rona closed her eyes while feeling the soft, gentle touch of her ex-boyfriend on her face. It has been years ever since she last felt the warm, familiar hands of the person she loves and for her, this was more than enough.

This was one of her last wishes; to be able to talk to him for the last time, let him go, and watch him marry the woman that makes him happy and he truly loves.

She knows that he and she are now impossible not only because Seokhoon is already someone else's but also because she will be departing from this world in a few months'' time. She had accepted her tragic fate in life already and now, all she had to do was to make the best out of the time she has left by surrounding herself with the people she loves, make happy memories with them, and let go of the bitter pasts she had, and let go of the man who has always been in her heart for so long.

Where have you been, my love? What happened to you?

Seokhoon asked her while leaning his forehead in hers.

Rona encircled her arms around his waist and replied with her low, weak voice.

I've always been here, Seokhoon-ah.

Cupping his face gently, she continued.

I've always been here waiting for you to come back to me. While I was in Paris, I didn't involve myself in any romantic relationships because I know that I still love you at that time and I know somewhere deep in my heart that somehow, you'll find your way back to me.

But some things aren't meant to be. I've always wished for you to come back to my life but when I knew you've got yourself a new lover, it made me realize that I'm not the one for you. Although it hurt me a lot knowing that you already moved on from me and got engaged with someone else.......

Looking at his teary eyes, Rona forced a smile and said to him

.......I am not angry at you, Seokhoon-ah. I never was. I understood that it's not me whom you love anymore. I understand that it's not me who makes you happy. I understand that from the moment you broke up with me before, I was not your woman anymore.

Wiping his tears from his cheeks, her voice began to crack.

I'm glad that you broke up with me even before I discovered that I am suffering from leukemia. I'm glad that you were able to spare yourself from the pain and burden of having a sick lover who will leave you in a few months. I'm glad that even before you knew about my tragic fate, you have found yourself someone who will love you and take care of you for the rest of your life.

Those were the things that I wanted to do to you; to love you, take care of you, and spend the rest of my life with our future children but I know those wishes and dreams are unlikely to come true. Be happy Seokhoon-ah. Be with whom your heart truly belongs.

Even if I'll be gone soon, don't forget about me and the memories we had. Maybe in another life, there will be a chance for us. For now, I need to let you go. I'm setting you free Seokhoon-ah. Thank you for coming into this short life of mine. I will cherish and treasure all our memories until my last breath.

Seokhoon at that point didn't stop the loud sobs coming from his mouth and became vulnerable in front of the woman who has always been precious to him. He didn't care if they look like actors filming an emotional scene for a drama inside the coffee shop. He couldn't even care about the people surrounding them who were also tearing up at the emotional scene right in front of them. Nothing mattered to him at that moment but Rona only.

Hearing those words of farewell from her just made him realize the fact he couldn't let her go no matter how much he tried to. He also realized even more how much love he had for this woman from then until now. He was not yet ready to let her go. He still can't accept the fact that she'll be gone in a few months and that this might be her last words for him and his last memory of her.

He wanted to be selfish and just stay by her side but he knows it would be unfair to his current girlfriend whom he was engaged with. From Rona's words, he knows that his ex-girlfriend still loves him as much as he loves her and this only ignited his desire of having her back even just for the time she has left. He wanted to create more memories with her and show her how much he loves her before she goes.

But before he could even reply to her, Rona suddenly felt lightheaded and her vision starts to double. Feeling her world turning around, she struggled to keep her balance and gripped onto Seokhoon for support.

Noticing this, Seokhoon's tear-filled eyes are now looking towards her with so much worry and concern.

Rona-yah, are you okay?

Instead of hearing a response from her, he felt her weight on his arms. Seokhoon looked down at her and panicked when he saw her unconscious.

Rona-yah?! Rona?!

The other people inside the coffee shop panicked at the sight of unconscious Rona in his arms especially their friends.

Seokhoon didn't waste any time and quickly dashed towards the coffee shop's door and brought Rona in his car to send her to the nearest hospital. As soon as they got inside his car, Seokhoon took off his blazer and placed it over his love's unconscious body. While still tearing up, Seokhoon took her small cold hands into his warm and bigger ones and brought it on to his lips, giving it a soft, gentle kiss.

Hang in there, jagi. You'll be fine. You have me. I love you so much. Don't leave me yet. I'm still not ready to let you go.

And with that, he started to drive away from the coffee shop's parking lot.

Minhyuk, Jenni, and Seokkyung immediately followed Seokhoon's car on the way to the hospital.

Author's note:

Hi! It's been days since I last updated my stories since I got busy on reviewing for my final exams and I just had my vaccination yesterday so I'm not feeling very well as of the moment. Anyways, this update is quite short so expect me to publish one or two more updates for this one within the day. Also, I will update The Game of Love (and hopefully, the one-shots book as well) by tomorrow so stay tuned!

Things will take a big turn in The Game of Love very, very soon so prepare yourselves for some real stress coming up.

That would be all for now! Happy Reading!

Stay safe and healthy!

PS: Thank you so much for the 1.1K reads! You guys are the best! <3