Chapter 4: The Bet

Meanwhile, in the palace, the princes were sitting in the parlor discussing their new prisoner.

"Oliver, could you have looked any more like a peasant?" Edward sneered at him, "We're royalty, so don't stoop to their level."

"I'm sorry, at least I still have compassion in my heart unlike you. If you even have one!" Oliver countered.

"Would you please quit your whining..." said Giles staring down at his book, "I'm trying to read."

James then stood up and faced his brothers.

"There is something I would like to inform you about." he said shakily, "I did not really arrest Lilliana for disobeying me."

His brothers were silent. Oliver and Edward's mouths hung wide open, while Giles continued ignoring their conversation and reading his novel.

"Well then why, in all of Arcania, would you arrest her then!?" Oliver yelled horrified.

"I just need her here for my own reasons."

"And what, might I ask, are your reasons, James?" Edward grinned with interest, "Because I might like to assist you with that."

"Is it not obvious..." Giles sighed, "He is in love with her."

"How did you know, Giles?!" said James surprised that he had figured it out.

Giles stared at James annoyed by his question.

"You drew her portrait on your notebook, while chatting with us. Might I say that you really need to study more with your art tutor. It took me a minute to even decode what the drawing was."

"Well, if you're in love with her why would you lock her away? I still do not understand." Oliver asked puzzled.

Giles groaned as if he knew the answer to it already.

"I think I see your plan, James." Edward said smiling even more than before, "You're keeping her here so you can see her, and make her fall in love with you. You will get to know her and she will get to know you. I'm afraid though that you are doing it all wrong brother."

"I agree with, Edward." Oliver cut in, "If you really want her to notice you. You need not to keep her captive."

"Now I did not say that..." Edward smirked, "You need to keep her prisoner, just without her knowing. A maiden as beautiful as that needs to surrender to her master."

"Are you saying that you'd have a more likely chance of getting Lilliana than I?" James asked, his face turning a bright red.

"That is exactly what I am saying." Edward replied turning red as well, "You don't have a chance."

Oliver then pulled the two away from each other. "Please don't argue, because everyone knows that I'd have a better chance than you both."

"I'd have a better chance than all three of you..." Giles whispered to himself, "Because I'm doing it for love...not a ridiculous competition..."

"All right, you all think you can steal my Lilliana away from me, then let's wager on it." James announced, "The man who gets her will not only get her but..." James hesitated before finishing his sentence. "Also gains the crown..."

All four brother's eyes sparkled at that and with delight they simultaneously said.

"It's a bet!"