Chapter 1: The Drunken Man

• Dedicated to Mr. Roberts, my eighth grade ELA teacher, who always saw the best in me

Arcania. The kingdom known for our fullness in special gems. Emeralds, rubies, and diamonds were our specialty items. The village and walls were built by the finest craftsman, and with the strongest cobblestone. It had a mighty castle in the middle of it all, guarded by the mightiest of men. From the way I've described Arcania, it would seem, to an outsider, that this is the perfect home. But to me it was a long nightmare.

I was ordinary peasant woman that lived with her father. My father was too old of age and couldn't work anymore, so I had to work overtime at the tavern as a waitress. It paid well, but it was barely enough for us to get by on. . I hoped one day I'd support us better, because if things stayed the way they were my father would surely die.

One evening I was cleaning off the tables late at night, and a stranger walked in the doorway. He was dressed up. A really fancy sort of man. He sat himself at one of the tables, I had just cleaned, and proped his boots on top of the table.

"Get me a bottle of wine... and a pretty face to deliver it to me!" the man shouted to the bartender drunkenly.

I scowled at the man for he kept staring at me with hungry eyes. How dare he look at me in that manner! The bartender, George, then handed me the bottle, and I took it to the man's table. I cringed while looking at him, because I could not bare the thought of him touching me.

"That truly is the most beautiful face." he smirked, "What's your name, love?"

I set the bottle down on the table and opened it, ignoring his question.

"Oh come on now, at least give me a chance." he said grabbing my arm.

I quickly thrust my arm away from his grasp, and went back to cleaning the tables. The man then forcefully spun me around to face him.

"I'll make you a deal, love. You give me you name and I'll leave and never return here. Now tell me your name!" he commanded.

I stood there shaking in fear, so I foolishly blurted out, "Lilliana Cross!"

The man the devilishly smiled, and let go. He walked out of the tavern without even grabbing his booze.