Chapter Five: Shattered Remains

The grains of time were hot under my skin; the light was a blinding white in my eyes as I tried to open them only to give up with a groan before tightly closing them shut. I could hear the howling of the wind as it echoed off the wall of—what I presumed—the temple. Movement of sand and murmuring of voices could be heard faintly in the distant. I tried to open my eyes again but the world spun around me in a blur, which made my stomach twist in return. And I fell back into a haunting sleep.

..oOo..

Eve clutched the railing of the dirigible; the Nile a crisp yellow and orange hue in the setting sun. She gazed at its ancient beauty as thought after thought swam through her mind. The voices around her turned into a monotone tune as her grip tightened on the aged wood. Only after a while did the voices begin to ring of their own individual tune.

“With the Creature’s powers quickly returning, by the time they have reached the oasis of Ahm Shere, even the Scorpion King himself will be no match for him.”

“And the Scorpion King is no push over, right?” The sound of Rick’s voice brought a comfort to Eve’s troubled mind.

“Push over?”

“A tough cookie—tougher than a whirling dervish.”

“Ah—much tougher. No ‘pushover’ or ‘cookie’.” Eve took this as her opportunity to slip into the conversation.

“According to legend, after the Scorpion King gave up his soul to Anubis, he betrayed the great god and was cursed for all eternity,” she preached as she gave her full attention to the two men.

“Well ol’ Imhotep was cursed and that only made him stronger. Peculiar way to punish someone,” Jonathan spoke dryly as he re-adjusted himself in his spot—which was next to Alex.

“The gods have their reason—and their ways,” Ardeth defended. Alex leaned on Jonathan’s shoulder as he let out a sigh.

“It sounds bloody stupid if you ask me.”

“Alex watch your tongue!” Eve snapped at her son who in return let out a huff of annoyance.