Chapter Two: The Great Escape

The building was dark.

The room was dark.

How long had he been here?

Minutes?

Hours?

He didn’t know.

Alex looked down at his wrist and glared at the golden, Bracelet of Anubis. If it weren’t for this stupid thing he wouldn’t be here in the first place! Stuck in a room, without his parents…without anyone. He let out a sigh as he flopped onto the bed that was in the room.

He was supposed to leave for Karnak tomorrow; he heard so from eavesdropping on the guards outside his room. Alex didn’t think his mother would like it very much if she found out that he had eavesdropped, but then again the situation sort of called for it. Didn’t it?

Suddenly he heard the guards voices pick up again. It must have been someone else who was doing the next shift or something, It’s happened a couple of times already; which then brought him back to the question of how long he’d been here. But the grunts from the other side of the door made him stand to attention. What was going on out there?

Slowly the door opened and Alex tensed. What if they had decided to kill him? No that couldn’t possibly be it…could it?

When the door was open wide enough a red, turban man walked in. Alex couldn’t see much of the person except a bit of the outline of the person itself. But as the person got close enough to the window he could see a pair of ice blue eyes in the moonlight.

“Aunt Clair?” The figure nodded and went to lock the door. Quickly the headdress came off to reveal white hair, which only proved his hypothesis correct. Alex wanted to say so many things to her but she put her finger to her lips in silence.

“We don’t have much time. The next guards will be coming soon to relieve the ones unconscious outside. We must hurry!” She whispered as she grabbed his hand and headed towards the window.

He had already tried the window before, but once he saw that he was on the third floor that idea got crossed out. Alex shook his head to Clarissa, “we can’t go that way! This is the third floor! Well die for sure!” She looked over to him and smiled.