chapter nineteen - this wicked place

**TW: SELF-HARM, SUICIDE BASICALLY**

Sophia placed her cup down on the living room table. "What is so important that you disturbed my sleep and forced me to drink tea?"

"It's about the case," Lucas examined while excitedly pacing back and forth.

"When someone died at the Stygian Sea, we just threw them into the water with their stuff," Sophia muttered.

"Alright, let's assume that Enoch really is dead. Then we'd need to take those strange last words into account."

"What last words?"

" 'THIS PLACE IS WICKED' and 'she knows'. Or, as you keep on insisting, 'he knows' ."

"I will die on this hill."

"Please don't die."

"Fine."

"We've argued about which pronouns were being used a thousand times before, but maybe it's time we focus our attention to Enoch's other note. We should start asking ourselves what compelled him to say 'THIS PLACE IS WICKED' ."

"Maybe he just thought the cave was super cool."

"Maybe. But those words, along with alerting us that someone has certain knowledge, were likely the last thing of Enoch that could reach another human being. It was crucial for him to ensure that other people were aware that this place was 'wicked'. In fact, maybe 'this place' wasn't even referring to the cave. Maybe it was referring to the wood the cave lies in. Or, maybe, he was referring to some sort of evil associated with the Yellow Plains itself."

"The Yellow Plains? 'Wicked'? But the people here are so nice. And the food tastes good."

"We'll, if I'm being honest, I disagree with Enoch. I don't find anything inherently nefarious with this place. At the worst, I just find this place pretty weird."

Sophia pondered this for a moment. "Well, the weather is pretty weird, I guess. There's never a cloud in the sky, and Pine mentioned that they're always comfortable in that massive cloak."

"Exactly! Not only that, but the holes all around this house. And the wolf Enoch mentioned in his journal. Then there's that Jorvik in the woods..."

"What about it?"

"It's not like all the other Jorviks we've encountered over the past few weeks. All the Jorviks that have attacked us have been relentless. Remember the one we encountered in the Stygian Sea? Even when we managed to fend it off, it returned a day later for revenge. The one in the woods gave up when we were at our most vulnerable. And when we left the cave, it didn't bother pursuing us again. It's almost like it chased us into that cave for a reason."

"Alright, fair, but what does this have to do with the big picture? How does this all ultimately tie into Enoch's disappearance and death?"

"This is the big picture, Sophia!" Lucas exclaimed. "I believe that this Enoch case all ties into the Yellow Plains' true, weird, and possibly even wicked nature."

"But everything points to Pine, Will, and Brody being involved in this somehow. How does that all fit into your theory?"

"Why not mention Claire?"