chapter eighteen - the detective disappears

After departing from the bakery, Sophia, Jalen, and Lucas returned to their own house and refrained from speaking to each other. They were lost in thought, contemplating their recent discoveries. The trio chose to skip the rest of the day's meals and go to bed before the sun set.

Lucas woke up the next morning to find himself alone in bed. He was puzzled, but he figured that Jalen was reading in the dining room. However, Jalen's battered book on Nietzsche was sitting on the stone nightstand.

Lucas stretched, attempted to tame his jet black hair, and headed out the bedroom to the living room. From there, all he could see was a stirring Sophia, an empty kitchen, and four untouched seats.

The sight caused his heart to begin racing until he noticed a slip of paper on the table. Lucas let out a relieved sigh and picked up the note. The paper was light and thin in his hand, like an unused cookie sheet. He unfolded the note and took a look at what the ink had to say.

"Sorry if I gave you a scare! I wanted to go tell James about what we overheard. You were sleeping so soundly, I didn't want to wake you. I'll be with him at the next house over if you want to join me.

- Jalen

(P.S. I'd suggest disposing of this note.)"

"Mnn... What's that, Lucas?" Sophia mumbled from the couch.

"Jalen invited himself over for breakfast at James' house." Lucas ripped the note into shreds. "Let's go join him."

✦✧✧✧✧✦

"James is gone. I'm searching for him in the woods. You guys go speak to Pine, Will, Claire, and Brody to figure out if they know anything in the meantime.

- Aidan."

Lucas grimaced as he rolled up Aidan's note. He tried to put on a more cheerful Express when he turned to Sophia. "I guess Jalen got a head start on a brand new development."

Sophia's express gave away her desire to ask for elaboration, but ultimately she turned to head for the door.

✦✧✧✧✧✦

Lucas and Sophia walked up the steps of the second house in the canola field. Not unlike the other two houses they had been in that morning, this house was made from both wood and stone. Boisterous laughter could be heard behind the oak door.

"I don't think - WHEEZE - I don't think you should be saying that," Brody managed to say through hearty laughter.

"Why not? I'm Gifted." It was Jalen.

Lucas knocked on the door, ruining whatever pleasantries the newfound friends were exchanging.

"I'll get that. It must be Lucas and Sophia." Footsteps could be heard approaching the door and were follow by a soft "click". 

"Lucas!" Jalen said brightly.

"Hey."

Lucas took a look to assess the room. While almost every room seemed to have been fused into the one right before his eyes, Lucas found Brody's house to feel more spacious than Enoch's. On the kitchen counter was a satchel overflowing with chaotic notes written in hot pink. A bed was pushed up against the corner, and a nearly empty bookshelf stood by it with a copy of a book titled "De Vitiis Humanitatis". Right in the middle of the room sat Brody at a table, smiling at his new guests.