Chapter 2 (Edited)

Start from the beginning

No! That would destroy the privacy Cindy and I needed. What about the gossip?!

"Why?" Charlie croaked, his brows pulling together.

Well, at least I wasn't the only one opposed to his mother's brainchild.

"Because I caught your sister while she was...in the middle of something," Mrs Fellows retorted, eyeing my best friend with narrowed, grey eyes.

I looked over at Cindy. I didn't know what her mother was going on about, and I wasn't okay with that. And Cindy knew that.

"Ethan," she murmured, head hanging low, cheeks tinted pink.

"As in, Ethan Davey?" I clarified, but I already knew that I was right. She nodded, and my face contorted with confusion.

Ethan Davey was one of those typical clichés. He was, for a lack of a better description, a hunk without a brain. The thing was, Cindy felt like those types of people were located at the bottom of the social food chain. I remembered her saying something about faces and that people needed 'substance'. Cindy believed that looks wouldn't get you very far in life. I guess in some instances that was probably true. Because, I mean, some people were getting paid simply for the fact that they exist and they are living--face value, if you may. On the other hand, Cindy had a point too. Have a look at brain surgeons; none of them are stupid, I'll give you that. What threw me, though, was that despite all of her lectures about dating good looking stereotypes, her predicament tells me that she betrayed her own beliefs.

Anyway, Cindy and I went on to try and reason with her mother. We even tried whining for a little while, but that did nothing either, so we ended up resorting to begging. Yes, we were actually begging, like on our knees begging, but Mrs. Fellows didn't want to hear it.

"It's final," she said, sighing at the way we were acting. "Now run along, children. While you still have daylight."

The woman pushed us all out the door, shutting it once we were standing on the porch.

"Did she just call--"

I was quickly cut off by two hands grasping my shoulders, before I could even finish my sentence. This person, whose hands were big and manly, was suddenly pushing me towards my bike.

Let's take a wild guess, shall we? This isn't Cindy.

Sarcastic Voice In My Head: Well, duh? Isn't 'manly' a good enough adjective for you?

"Oh, would you just shut up!" I scolded. Out loud. Why do I keep doing that?

"Who the hell are you talking to?" Charlie asked, looking at me in annoyance. "It's like you have another person in there," he added, tapping my temple as he spoke.

Of course, I do, Charlie. Who do you think made me laugh back in the living room?

I shook my head at my own quirkiness. I believe I have a bit too much of it, weirdness I mean. It was as if I caught all the bizarre behaviours when they fell from the sky.

Not another word from you, Sarcastic Voice In My Head.

The three of us agreed that after a couple hours of biking, lunch, and another bike-a-thon, we would buy ice cream. So we did.

"Rainbow for me," I squealed. I absolutely loved that flavour.

"Triple Chocolate!" said Cindy, who was also donning a Cheshire cat smile.

"And I suppose I'm the one who pays," Charlie mumbled, none too pleased with the way things were playing out. He went on to pay for our frozen desserts anyway, plus a plain Vanilla ice cream for himself.