C H A P T E R 44

44 | Dear Brother

"What's the first thing you'll say to Ava when you find her?" Vittoria asked with hope gleaming in her eyes

"I'd say..." I trailed off. I'd never thought of it before. That's because I'd grown so hopeless with so many failed attempts.

"I'd say your uneven hair looks funny, Ava."

The offended little girl then passed me those familiar annoyed looks and I chuckled at the sight.

The flashback played in my head. It brought with itself an unnamed feeling. My sister was right next to me.

Fate must be laughing at us back then.

I should have known, right? I always felt this urge to protect her. This was the reason. Hell, I smiled when I was with her. It's because her smile was like mom's. Now when I look at her, I realized she bears so many resemblances - jet black hair like dad, petite frame and intelligent brown eyes like mom.

"She was hidden in plain sight." Toby mumbled, not leaving her bandaged hand even for a second.

To say they were shocked was an understatement. None of them spoke for about an hour after I explained them the truth. It was all so tangled. Trying to solve the puzzle only stemmed new questions.

But honestly, what why and how, none of it was of importance. All that mattered was that I had found her.

Now I was more worried about breaking it to her. I looked over at her battered form asleep on the bed. Her frail body hit the ground the moment I proclaimed the truth. A mammoth fear surrounded me.

What if she doesn't accept me as her brother? What if she hates me because of Rafael? Dread twisted in my gut at the mere thought of it.

"Hey, it's gonna be alright." Liam placed a hand over my shoulder.

"Why always my family?" My voice broke. Is it my fault? Am I doing something wrong? They both casted me pitiful looks.

"I'm sorry Oliver. We both are. We couldn't save her from Rafael." Liam apologized.

"It wasn't your fault. You tried." I assured.

"Well trying isn't good enough, Oliver." Toby snapped.

"I'm going to kill him. You know that right? I fucking mean it." I'm here just because she needs me right now.

They exchanged concerned looks. I don't blame them. They're his cousins. He was my best friend but that was in the past now. Sister or no sister, I don't approve being associated with someone so low. I knew he had a bit of darkness in him but I didn't know it was so destructive.

"I'm not asking you to forgive him but-" Liam stopped mid sentence, his eyes peering behind me.

"Vittoria!" He said softly, rushing over to her as she slowly fluttered her eyes open. She glanced at us, confused, like she couldn't recognize any of us. Or maybe she was searching for a certain someone.