He easily caught it.

"Maybe we do have a chance in this war, after all," I said.

He laughed lightly. "I hope so. I'm curious to see your full power, Son of Fenrir."

"Please, don't call me that. I'm nothing special," I asked, looking away.

"I saw your spirit," he spoke quietly in a sad voice. "I saw it when... when they tried to take you away from us. A spirit like that... I thought you were already dead."

"Lucky for me, your mute little princess had the Howl and healed me," I said, trying to sound cheerful even though my mood was far from that.

"Jack... There is strength in you that can't be destroyed. You gave the last of your life to save mine, and you survived. I know your spirit is mighty. I know you will be one of those our enemy fears the most."

I just sat there in silence. Now I felt awkward.

"So... What? You're a poet as well?" I asked, trying to be funny.

"I will wait a few days, like Fenrir asked," Arch only said, turning his attention out of the window.

"Nothing will happen in a few days," I said with a snort, and he laughed again. My god, I loved his laugh... "What's so funny?"

"You don't see what I see."

"You can see my future?"

"No. I mean, I can see the change in you already. For one, you are talking to me. You're not timid around me. You... You are already stronger."

I glanced at him. His eyes were back to normal, and they immediately met mine. We both stayed where we were, staring at each other for a while. I forgot to feel awkward with his brown eyes on me.

How many times had I wished to have those eyes on me during the past year...? How many times had I hoped he'd finally see me... Notice me... And feel... feel what I felt...

He suddenly moved and came to sit down on the edge of the bed, his scent surrounding me.

"Since we are at war, and Cameron will be freed in a matter of days..." he spoke softly, pausing for a moment before he continued carefully. "And in case our time here has gotten extremely limited... I'd like to not have any regrets if I pass away."

"W-what do you mean?" I asked, my throat suddenly dry.

He moved his hand toward mine, his palm up. He held it there and looked up at me. He was waiting for me to... make a move?

I looked down at his hand again. It looked warm... Again, I expected the shadows to make a move inside me, but nothing happened. There were no disgusting images of Arch lying at my feet as a bloody mess...

I flinched when that thought crossed my mind.

And I looked away.

"Why can't I feel the bond?" Arch whispered in a sad, miserable voice. "I don't get it. I want to feel it. Why wouldn't I choose you?"

I stared into nothingness. His words... they felt like icy knives in my heart, but at the same time, I could feel the butterflies and fireworks, the whole shebang.

"Maybe it's messed up somehow," I said quietly, surprising even myself for being so... positive. Yuk.

"But you can feel it," he said.

I let out a sigh and looked at his hand again. "I think I get it... I was... I was a jerk to you guys before I got possessed. That's the only way you saw me. And I really was a jerk. I... I hated you guys. I hated everything about you guys, and when I felt the bond with you... I hated it as well."