CHAPTER 17

And with that, the start was given.

You immediately rose above the stampede, flying off to score first place easily.

You were about to exit the tunnel when you felt a wave of coldness from behind you and smirked. Not bad Todoroki, not bad at all.

You were still flying and decided you were going to continue doing so, especially since some of your other classmates were starting to catch up.

"So I see sabotage is allowed," you muttered, analysing what Todoroki just did. "Perfect."

In a second, everything was covered in a thick fog, making everyone halt.

You smirked. This is so fun. And you landed, coming face-to-face with huge robots.

The fog is tricking their sensors. Great!

You sent feathers to each of the robots and made the feathers the key to turn them on and off. You turned them off and walked past, clearing the fog up so everyone could see you do that.

"Look! Robots!" came from the crowd.

"They're not working, let's go!"

Aaaand that's where you're wrong. The robots instantly turned back on, starting to act as the obstacles they were meant to be.

"What is this?" came Mic's loud voice. "It seems like a student has taken the lead! And she is just walking away!"

You tuned out of Mic's speech, focusing on your surroundings. Suddenly you felt cold.

Todoroki, you thought.

Aaaaaaaaand the boy was beside you. "Good trick, Y/n. Really good." He complimented before speeding off, you keeping up with him, using only a third of your speed. The thing is- you made it look like you were struggling to keep up.

After all - you had to keep your tricks up your sleeve and you were aiming for second place that missed first barely. You knew that in U.A - they were training you to be heroes. And if you were the 1st - you faced the most dangers. It only made sense for it to be the same way in the Sports Festival. You were supposed to prove yourselves there.

Suddenly Bakugou was next to you.

"Hey, hey, what's the rush?" you asked lazily, flying backwards for a bit. "Why don't you just enjoy the weather?"

"GET OUT OF MY WAY!" he charged at you, you dodging just in time.

"Well that wasn't very nice," you muttered, raising your speed a bit to keep up with your classmates.

As you three reached the next obstacle, you decided to make things a bit more interesting for yourself because in all honesty, this was boring.

So instead of flying over, you let out half of your wings to go sabotage the ones behind you. But the ones you had left helped you float from a pillar to another.

"Oh how I love my quirk sometimes," you sighed, casually floating over the last ravine and retrieving your feathers at an insane speed. Unbeknownst to you, the camera that was live and also showed all the people in the stadium what was going on, was pointed at you that very moment.

And many people started to notice your similarities with a certain pro hero in both appearance, quirk and behaviour.

"Hey, Hawks," Mirko called out.

"Yeah?"

"Do you know her?"

"Maybe."

"What do you mean 'maybe'?"

"I'll explain later, let's watch," he waved it off carelessly, although inside, hope was starting to flicker as a tiny flame again.

"Mines, huh?" you asked, coming to a stop next to Todoroki.

He nodded.

"I know everyone is fighting for themselves but do you want to team up on this one? I'm aiming for the second place so I wouldn't mind giving some of my feathers to add to your speed," you offered genuinely. To you it seemed that he deserved the first place.

"You sure?" he asked suspiciously.

"I'm sure. I promise I will stay a place behind you," you smiled.

"Even when someone was to go in front of me?" he asked with furrowed brows.

"Yeah. I doubt anyone would manage to do that and it would put me in the 4th place at lowest. It's not bad either," you said.

"Yeah. Let's team up," he agreed, eyeing the people coming from behind you two.

Suddenly Bakugou blasted past you and without a second thought, you took off flying while Todoroki glided on his ice right next to you, a bit boosted by a little less than a quarter of your feathers.

"WHAT IS THAT?!?! A TEAM-UP?" Present Mic's voice echoed but you ignored it and focused on catching up to Bakugou.

"Sup," you greeted, floating on one side while Todoroki glided on his other.

He just growled at you.

"What was that? You missed me? That's so sweet~" you said, dodging an explosion right after.

But right after that came another explosion. Right from behind you this time and you all witnessed Midoriya take the lead and accomplish first place.

You made a split second decision and boosted all your feathers, placing Todoroki second and you yourself third.

You smiled. "This is great! You did an awesome job Todoroki!"

You high-fived the boy who answered with little to no enthusiasm. But you were still happy. You managed to help your first friend score something. And he seemed pretty proud too.

"Thank you for helping me. I couldn't have gotten second without you," he thanked.

See? Pretty proud.

As you looked around, you realised that the crowd was buzzing more than you had expected.

But a glimpse of vermilion caught your eye. You were about to observe the vermilion in a pro-hero box a bit more when Midnight announced the second round competition: "Cavalry battle!"