chapter twelve

Alexiah's POV

Dylan stayed and helped me read the history homework. My mother stayed in the kitchen the whole time eyeing Dylan. My mother at one point asked if Dylan wanted to take off his jacket.

"It's fine ma'am."

"I insist. It's way too warm for a jacket like that in here."

"Really it's fine." My mother looked like she was going to protest but she didn't after I gave her a look that nearly begged her to stop. I really enjoyed reading with Dylan. His voice was strong and gentle. He had a deep soul like voice and I got lost in listening to him read. But like all good things we had to stop, manly because we finished the history homework. He smiled and closed the book and leaned back in the chair stretching behind him.

"So on to reading The misterious island?" I smiled.

"Actually I have the book on CD. We could listen to it." My mom rested her hand on the back of my chair

"Its almost time for dinner. Are you staying for dinner, Dylan?" Dylan looked at the clock and sighed.

"I really wish I could but I have to head home. My uncles expecting me home." He got up and smiled at me. I followed in suite.

"I'll walk you out." We walked to the front door, then past the deck and then to the driveway where his truck sat.

Dylan's POV

She led me out of the house in silence. She was no more then an inch from me. I wanted to reach out and grab her hand and hold it like we would at school, but something made me say no. She looked beautiful, and I wish I had the words to tell her. Finally we reached my truck. She smiled at me and bit her lip.

"Thanks for staying and helping."

"Don't mention it. I had nothing else to do on my day off anyway." I thoughed for a moment and remembered I had to help my uncle when I got home. That would be fun.

"Thank you anyway. Sorry if my mom scared you. Your actually the first friend that hasn't been scared off by her. If course there haven't been many friends to begin with." She chuckled, her voice was chipper and high almost like chimes and it made me smile.

"Well you better go help your mom with dinner, and I should go home to mine." My dinner was a can of sprite and a ham sandwich-if the ham wasn't bad. She smiled and wrapped her arms around my waist. I sighed and wrapped her in a hug. She let go and looked up at me.

"See you tomorrow." She headed for the house and I got in my truck. I had half a mind to get out of the cap and run up to her and kiss her, but I didn't. Instead I started the truck and buckled up. I smiled and shook my head. Sense when have I ever buckled up?

6:02

"Dylan, where the hell have you been? School got out almost four hours ago. And not to mention Officer Grace decided to stop by. He's in the kitchen right now. I hope you have a good reason for being here late." I smiled and patted his shoulder.

"Good to see you too. How was my day? Oh it was great. Literally." I threw my backpack against the staircase and looked towards the kitchen.

"Hey Kevin." Standing in the doorway of the kitchen was Officer Grace with a black jacket over his black uniform. His gun was holstered to his side. He was tall. Had black hair, short and spikey. He made me chuckle when I thought of his wife and how short she was.

"Dylan, you do relize that if I would of been Mr. Kelt you would of been sent to jail." I stood next to him on the opocite wall.

"I have a curfew now?" He sighed as I heard my uncle light a cigarette.