Pierre scowled, “I didn’t tell you to hide our son from me! Not at least for more than twenty years!”

“I wouldn’t have minded—but you weren’t the only one in this household years ago!”

“Which never mattered!”

Then do you think I was happy?”

Her composure went haywire, because he didn’t know, he doesn’t know. She just wanted to make some things clear. Helena didn’t utter those seven little words to gain the upper hand, or to seem more pitiful than he was. If that situation was a game, she’d quickly admit defeat to let him be the victor, because she knew it was hard for him.

Or maybe she’s being too much of a saint right now, then perhaps it was harder on her.

She grinded her teeth, a piercing pressure stinging her eyes, and her amber orbs began to be clouded in pain. “Do you think I was happy leaving you out there? Do you take me in as a kind of woman who takes joy in her loved ones’ pain? I’m not sadistic, Pierre. And I’m... I’ve never thought of myself as a good mother either.”

Pierre didn’t say anything. He had no clue what she is like as a parent. Besides that he didn’t get to have that opportunity, there was a tiny voice inside his head convincing him she isn’t what she claims herself to be.

The thought surprised him.

Helena breathed heavily, her nails scraping against the sheets. “Why Aiden loved me so much, I’ll never know. Maybe he hates me now, and I won’t blame him, Pierre. He has every right to be. If he doesn’t want to see me again, that’s okay,” She confessed, whilst a hand pounded at her chest and a teary smile encased her lips.

“It’s gonna hurt. But he’s happy. I have no idea why you haven’t fallen in love with another woman yet, but you should. They’d be so lucky. You knew what you were getting into when you loved me, but you kept your chin high. When I loved you, I only ran. Then you bring me here, I’ve not a clue why, but all I would like to say is that I’m sorry you had to be alone...”

Helena recovered her gaze on him, which bordered guilt.

“I’m so sorry you had to meet me.”

That’s when Pierre finally broke.

He had lunged forward, and curved his arms around her motionless figure to lock her there in between. His head fell on top of hers, and his limbs were slightly trembling, the puddle trapped in his eyes melting like butter and dripping down the flushed apples of his cheeks. Helena could only lie there against his chest without a word, or an expression.

Or so she thought she could remain that way.

“I won’t ever regret meeting you, darling.”

Helena shut her eyes stubbornly. “You do.”

“I don’t,” Pierre strengthened his tone, “If I do, then why do you think I stayed alone all these years?”

It hit Helena.

To meet you again, she tearfully thought in awe.

“Doesn’t matter. You don’t need me.”

He pulled her on him tighter. “Then I’ll need those pills again.”

“You’re incorrigible.”

“And so are you. I would just like to let you know that the mansion is still as locked and secured just as it was before,” Pierre whispered, “I’m not letting you run. Not again.”

“You’re putting a woman you hate on house arrest eh? That’s a new one.”

“Let me rephrase that. I hate what you did. But why am I making you stay if I don’t love you until now?”