49. Special Delivery

Start from the beginning

"Are you all right?"

I raised my stare to Lucien's. "Yes. Sorry. Just thinking."

"You do not have to decide this moment. I will check up on you periodically either way, and if you need anything, ask."

"Thanks."

The door locked behind him as he left. I took my book back to the window and sank into the seat, gazing out at the dark skies. My will to read was soundly squashed. In Killian's absence, I'd allowed a curtain of false security to hang around me. Lauvet's daughter may not have been afforded his protections any longer but that didn't mean I was out of the woods. I had no idea what she intended to do next.

That terrified me.

After nearly two hours of stressing over things that couldn't be helped, the valentines were almost all delivered

After nearly two hours of stressing over things that couldn't be helped, the valentines were almost all delivered. A knock sounded at the door and it swung open with hesitation. It was Rhett. He waved. "Is it all right for me to come inside?"

"Sure," I said, stuffing my bookmark into the book. "What's up?"

Rhett entered the room and gave it a good look around. "Not much. You missed Nix and Naomi's big moment."

"Oh?"

"Mhmm. Naomi got tired of waiting on Nix. She asked him to be her boyfriend in the cafeteria in a big, romantic display. They were cute, but I didn't want to be a third wheel so I said I would go visiting."

I guessed that meant Blake was hanging out with her other friends. That was understandable, her being a senior, and all. Secretly, I hoped she found a cute witch to spend her day with. "Sorry, Rhett."

"It's all right. I'll pester you instead. How is your Valentine's Day going?"

"Fantastic. I've been trapped in this room for so long I haven't seen a single romantic gesture. Not to mention, the weather is on my side."

"You're such a mood. I love it." Rhett laughed, sliding into a seat. "What about Lacroix?"

"What about him?" I asked, turning my gaze to the window.

"Any plans?"

He probably would have loved to hear that I might be spending Valentine's Day with Lucien, but I hadn't decided if that was a good idea or not. Logic told me to do it, but my pride told me not to. "I don't know."

A shuffle of feet sounded at the doorway. It was one of the freshmen from the student council. He gave a stiff wave as he entered, not saying a word, and dug into the box of first-floor gifts. A silence lingered until the freshman straightened himself, staring down at a gift-box inquisitively, and looked at me. His face was bright red. "Do you want your package now or should I deliver it?"

"For me? I don't have any packages."

The freshman set the box on the table. "Surprise?"

"Looks like you might have plans, after all." Rhett leaned over the table with a smug expression on his face. It was a black box tied off with a sheer, red ribbon. "Mrs. Lacroix."