I lean back and hope he doesn't notice. "Well—I mean, no. I don't have a problem working on the project. I want to work on it. I don't exactly have an idea yet but—"

"That's okay. No need to get all serious about it," my core squeezes at his condescending laughter. "You just looked overwhelmed, and so I was trying to—"

"Overwhelmed?" My voice comes out a little harsher than I expect. "I'm not overwhelmed. I'm just saying I want to work on the project too. Like an equal amount, you know."

"Look, Cleo." He sits up straighter as if that'll make him seem like he knows what he's talking about. "I know this is a 'pair' type thing, but let's just be honest with ourselves, mhm? Every group needs a leader. There's not really any fifty-fifty here if you know what I'm saying." He laughs a laugh that says I'm supposed to agree with him.

At least when Dane's being an asshole, he doesn't try to hide it behind faux pleasantries.

My arms cross over my chest, and he twists his lips in anticipation.

"I don't know what you're saying."

"Okay, okay, here's what I'm thinking. Aliens, alright?"

I don't show any acknowledgement of having heard what he's said, only leaning back in my seat to study him. He doesn't let this deter his speech.

"And they've just invaded Earth..."

His voice slowly starts to tune out until I find Dane across the room. He's sitting across from Marty, oblivious to the words coming from my friend's mouth, eyes trained on Nick with a frown. They find mine moments later and he blinks at me. Having fun? I blink back twice, conversing with him in some made up language. What do you think? The corners of his lips twitch.

Nick decides to pick that second to accept that I could care less about his aliens, turning 180 degrees around in his chair to follow my line of sight, face twisting when he sees Dane who tips his head and hand mockingly at the new set of eyes.

"S'he your boyfriend?"

The sudden question makes me jump, focus entirely back on Nick.

"What? No, why do you say that?"

"You were just looking at him pretty hard, I don't know," he nods like he's coming to terms with something before pointing a finger at me. "You're probably not his type, huh?"

"Excuse me?" My voice comes out more defensive than I intend.

He looks completely oblivious to my rising temper, shrugging before picking up his pen. "He's just him, you know? Uptight, kinda mean, kinda preppy, and you're like...well, the opposite."

I hate that I can't really argue with his reasoning.

"How would you know what his type is?"

"He's my roommate. I know these things."

My eyes widen almost comically. "You're his roommate?"

That meant the room right across the hall—

"Why so surprised?"

Jesus Christ, I'm living across from the only two people in this program I can barely stand?

"No reason in particular."

Nick studies me suspiciously for a moment before leaning back in his chair again. "Do you like him?"

Seriously what is it with this guy and prying into my personal business?

"No, I don't like him. Now can we please get back to the flash fiction?"