- XXVI. -

[ L o n d o n , D e r b y D a y , 1 9 2 2 ]

"Morning, Ada!"

Zara King pressed a kiss to her friend's cheek as she came into her kitchen.

Ada Shelby handed her two teacups. "Morning. Here's some tea for you and Tommy. He's in his own world." She rolled her eyes.

Zara laughed. "Isn't he always?"

She tried to appear at ease in front of Tommy's sister, but in reality Zara was nervous. It was finally Derby Day; the day where Tommy and Zara intended to repair the damage from James King and Alfie Solomons' betrayal, and end the Irish business once and for all.

Zara smiled at her fiance who was leaning over Ada's writing desk, scribbling away at a letter. She walked over and put his teacup down in front of him.

"What are you writing?" Zara asked, pressing a kiss to the top of his head and leaning over his shoulder.

Tommy covered the letter with a random book sitting on Ada's desk. "Just finishing up some last minute business."

In truth, Tommy was writing the letter in the event of his death, exposing how the Crown had hired him to assassinate various figures. If he was going down, he was taking the British government down with him. There were many different ways this day could end, and unfortunately the odds of Tommy living to see the end were fairly slim.

He didn't want to worry Zara, for her due date was getting closer and the last thing she needed was more stress that could harm their baby. Like he did with most things these days, Tommy came to the conclusion that hiding it from her was for the best. The night before, Tommy had written Zara her own letter, admitting to his wrongdoings, but expressing his everlasting love for her. He would never admit this, but he started to cry as he was writing it, leaving a few water stains on the paper. Tommy couldn't imagine being without Zara, and he cried knowing that once she learned of his adultery, even in death she would never forgive him.

Zara furrowed her eyebrows. "Okay, love. Enjoy your tea, I'll be right back." She gently rubbed his shoulder before turning around to go back upstairs to get ready for the day.

Ada came into the room shortly after Zara left.

"Ada, sit down here for a minute." Tommy said to his sister. "If anything happens to me today... I need you to post this letter." He handed her the letter from underneath the book. "The stamp's already on. Don't ask any questions. It's to do... with insurance."

Ada rolled her eyes. "Look Tommy, whatever you're involved in, just tell us. Tell Zara. God, you never let anybody in." She looked at him in concern. "We love you, Tom."

Tommy didn't respond, instead he reached into his waistcoat pocket and pulled out the letter for Zara. "Give this one to Zara."

Ada looked at the letters in her hand and lightly shook her head. She didn't get the chance to say anything as her flatmate, James, came into the room and Zara came back downstairs.

"What are you doing up at six o'clock in the morning?" She asked James. He ignored her and gathered his things, as Tommy and Zara put on their coats.

"Ready?" Tommy asked them.

"What the bloody hell's going on?" Ada raised her voice in concern.

"Little errand." James said, trying to get out the door.

"What errand?" She said, annoyed.

"He just has to stand there, Ada. It'll be fine." Zara tried to ease her friend's worries.