- IV. -

! TW: sexual assault !

[ B i r m i n g h a m , 1 9 1 9]

After their meeting, Tommy and Zara led the Shelbys to the Garrison, eager to get drunk and celebrate their new partnership. Tommy and Zara walked side by side, a few paces ahead of the rest of the Shelbys.

Tommy didn't know what it was about Zara that drew him in. He remembered that even in their school days, he had always been captivated by the King girl. He smirked down at the petite woman beside him, "You know if I had known business was what it took to get your attention, I would've fixed a race a long time ago."

Zara playfully rolled her eyes at Tommy's flirting. "You don't need to keep charming me, Tommy. We're partners now, you got what you wanted."

"No, I didn't. Not yet."

Zara narrowed her eyes, confused at Tommy's vague response. "I'm not in the mood for your riddles, Shelby. Let's go get plastered!" Zara excitedly laughed, absentmindedly grabbing his hand and pulling him into the Garrison.

The Garrison was packed, and the Shelbys and the King girl were shocked as the customers were singing, raising their drinks in the air. Zara narrowed her eyes, as Tommy's grip on her hand tightened as they looked at the Irish barmaid who was leading the song.

People slowly started to realize the presence of the Shelbys and Zara, and ceased the noise dispersing around the pub, leaving Grace singing alone on top of a table.

Zara had to admit, the barmaid had balls to be singing in Tommy's pub without permission. Her dark eyes narrowed at the Irish girl as she noticed her gaze never straying from Tommy's face as she sang. Zara released their hands, but smirked as Tommy was quick to wrap his arm around her waist, pulling her firmly into his side. Tommy and Zara held identical emotionless looks as they stared at the barmaid, causing her to gulp before finishing her song and stepping down.

No one dared to clap, as Tommy and Zara made their way into the snug, the rest of the Shelbys filing in behind them. "Since you're already standing, why don't you get us a bottle of rum. We're celebrating." Zara smirked to Grace over her shoulder before the door swung shut behind her.

♔♔♔♔

Grace had to speak to Inspector Campbell. Zara King could be a fault in their plan to take down the Peaky Blinders. Grace could only assume they were working together, since before she arrived in Birmingham her research indicated a bad relationship between the Blinders and the Kings.

Grace grew nervous as she entered the museum's statue room where she was supposed to meet Mr. Campbell.

"Are you in position?" Campbell asked, from his hiding spot around the corner from Grace.

"I am sir."

"I interrogated the head of the Peaky Blinders. He didn't know anything. A brute. His gang may even prove useful to us. I also spoke to the leader of the King family. He declined my offer at a partnership." Campbell continued.

It striked me that it isn't Arthur who heads the Shelby family. It is the younger one...Thomas." she hesitates. "I have reason to believe Thomas has begun business with Zara King. She may become a problem."

Inspector Campbell thought for a moment. "If Miss King is doing business with Mr. Shelby, it was most likely an order from her father. When the time is right, I will get Miss King out of the way and you will get close to Mr. Shelby. Remember Grace, this is much bigger than you and me, you are doing a great service to your country."