- VIII. -

[B i r m i n g h a m , 1 9 1 9]

The air in the Shelby home was tense. Polly had called Zara begging her to come over, and Zara was terrified upon hearing Polly's urgency. "Polly?" Zara called out, stepping cautiously into the house.

"Kitchen." Polly called back. Zara made her way into the Shelby's kitchen where she found Polly sitting at the table nursing a cup of tea, hands covering her face in frustration.

Zara quickly sat down in the chair next to Polly. "What's happened, Pol?"

"Ada and Freddie were married."

Zara paled. "Do her brothers know?"

"Not yet," Polly sighed. "Thomas is the only one I'm worried about. That's why you're here."

Zara raised an eyebrow in concern. "I don't think I'll be enough this time."

Polly chuckled. "Maybe not, but you'll certainly help."

The women were distracted by the sound of the front door being closed, and Zara identified Tommy's heavy footsteps coming into the kitchen.

"Showtime." Zara smiled nervously at Polly who shared the same look.

Tommy made his way into the kitchen, taking off his cap and moving to sit beside Zara. "All right?" Tommy asked looking between the two women, confused by their nervous expressions.

"Are you armed?" Zara asked seriously, carefully grabbing his hand under the table.

"No?"

"Then I'll tell you." Polly started, all previous traces of nervousness gone from her face. "Ada and Freddie Thorne were married today. They defied your orders, they haven't left the city."

Zara felt Tommy tense under her grip, and without thinking she placed her other hand on his knee in an effort to keep him calm. She squeezed his hand, and she felt him slightly relax, but tighten his hold on her hand.

"I'll deal with it."

Polly narrowed her eyes at her nephew, "Thomas. I'll deal with it."

"Where are they?"

"Freddie's comrades have safe houses. Why do you want to know?" Polly asked, shooting a quick look to Zara.

"I want to send them flowers. Why do you think?" Tommy began to raise his voice, as his anger and frustration grew. Zara could tell it was her time to step in, and try to keep Tommy calm so Polly could convince him to let her handle Ada and Freddie.

"Would it be so bad if they stayed?" Zara asked, bringing Tommy's attention to her. She truly didn't understand why Tommy was so eager to keep his sister from the man she loved. Zara knew if it were her and Theo she would never speak to him again.

Tommy sighed, defeated, hard gaze softening seeing Zara's innocent expression. "I promised to run Freddie out of town."

"Promised who?" Polly snapped.

"I told the coppers Freddie wouldn't come back. It's part of the deal."

"What bloody deal?" Zara asked sadly, removing her hands from Tommy, and moving away. Tommy slightly flinched as he felt Zara back away from him.

"What happened to family votes? What happened to meetings?" Polly continued to yell, her frustration with Tommy growing.

"If you let me deal with Ada and Freddie, it'll end in peace." Tommy tiredly pleaded, keeping his gaze on Zara, who glared at him.