- XXIII. -

[ B i r m i n g h a m , 1 9 2 2 ]

"Pol? Are you ready?"

Zara called out as she stepped into the Shelby house on Watery Lane. She found the Gray woman anxiously smoking a cigarette in front of the fireplace. Tommy asked Polly if she would accompany Zara to Michael's eighteenth birthday party at the Garrison since he was going early to meet his brothers.

"Tommy just stopped by." Polly quipped. "He's going to offer Michael a position in the company."

"And you're okay with that?" She asked carefully.

"Of course not." Polly rolled her eyes. "But I don't want to push him away. I told Tommy he can only be part of the new business, nothing illegal."

Zara placed a comforting hand on Polly's shoulder. "Everything will be fine, Pol. I'm sure Michael can handle it. He is a Shelby after all."

Polly chuckled. "That's what I'm worried about." She stubbed out her cigarette and took Zara's hand. "Speaking of new Shelbys, how's the little one?"

Zara smiled and rubbed her stomach. "A real thorn in my side. They have that in common with their father."

Polly smiled. "Welcome to pregnancy, love. It'll all be worth it in the end when you hold your baby for the first time." Zara beamed at the Gray woman. Polly continued, "You and this child are blessings from God. Tommy is getting closer to how he used to be before the war, and I have you to thank for that."

Zara's eyes watered at Polly's confession. "Pol, you don't need to thank me. I love him. I just want him to be safe and happy."

"Thank you, Zara." Polly pulled Zara into a very tight hug that Zara reciprocated. The two women smiled at each other as they pulled away.

Zara wiped the remaining tears from her eyes. "Well, we should get going. Don't want to keep the birthday boy waiting."

♔♔♔♔

The atmosphere of the Garrison was light as Zara and Polly entered the snug. John was behind the bar for a change, getting drinks for the family as they sat waiting.

"Well, Finn, you got two choices. Mild, or mild?" John called to his younger brother, already pouring him a beer.

"Mild." Finn beamed, happy that he could finally drink with his family.

"Watch it, John-boy. Don't give him too many." Zara scolded, making Finn pout.

Tommy chuckled as Zara glared at the glass John put in front of Finn. "He'll be fine, love. He can have one." He grabbed his girlfriend's hand and pulled her towards him to distract her.

"There he is!" Arthur called as Michael opened the door to the snug.

The family all rose from their seats, cheering, as the birthday boy came into the room, beaming. Polly shut the door behind him, as Michael shook Tommy's hand first.

"Happy birthday, darling!" Zara said, happily, placing a friendly kiss on Michael's cheek.

Polly's son blushed, making Arthur and John chuckle.

"Be careful, Tom. Might have some competition!" John laughed, making Tommy's eyebrow twitch.

"Eighteen years old. You're a man today. Give him a drink, John-boy." Arthur said.

"There you go, lad." John poured Michael a beer.

"And after that, we'll go find you a lady of the night." Arthur continued.