Socialpunk (Socialpunk #1) ~ Epilogue

Nahum held his head high as four Carver thugs led him out of the basement room where they’d been holding him. They wanted something in exchange for him, he knew—he also knew a man and woman, no older than their late teens, had come to retrieve him. When he had first heard the news, he felt so much relief to hear that Vaughn and E were on their way, safe and unharmed. Now that it had been a few hours, though, he wondered if their time together, alone, had brought them closer. He wondered if Vaughn had finally made his move. The thought of it made Nahum want to throw his fist into a wall. He had never been a violent person before, but in his new body, he felt different, more powerful. He had all sorts of pent-up physical energy, especially after sitting in an empty room for the majority of the past several days.

His mouth still burned from those moments in the tent, kissing E, almost having more of her. He hoped she’d gotten his message in the medallion, the one where he confessed his feelings to her once and for all. He loved her, inexplicably, and it didn’t completely make sense to him, especially now that his mind worked more like a computer, more logically. But for whatever reason, she was the only thing he could remember, and the memory had such strong emotion attached to it that he just knew she was his soul mate in some way.

They reached the meeting place and Nahum saw Nasser and Ember down the tunnel. Ember seemed preoccupied with the tips of her hair, and kept running her fingers through her rainbow streaks; Nasser had a grave, weary look on his face, like he was about to do something he didn’t want to do. Nahum’s heartbeat spiked and he shoved between two Carver thugs to reach the pair.

“Where’s Cinder?” He tried to maintain a level tone, but his brain had already come up with a list of scenarios that would keep E from coming for him. Vaughn’s absence put one in particular at the top of the list.

Nasser and Ember exchanged a look. “Cinder sent us here to get you.”

“That doesn’t answer my question.” He felt the pit of his stomach stirring, and he knew from their faces that something was very, very wrong. “Did she go after Dash?”

“Nahum.” Nasser heaved a sigh. “We have some bad news about Cinder…”