Socialpunk (Socialpunk #1) ~ Run (Chapter 19)

At the mention of Nasser’s name, all of the Carvers sprang into action. Declan set Smolder back on the ground. “Hold her!” Declan shouted, pointing at Cinder.

Smolder grabbed her and twisted her arms behind her back. She attempted to struggle out of her grasp, but Smolder pinned her with pressure points, making her yelp in pain for every bit of movement. Though Smolder looked pale, weak, and depleted, the girl still had four inches of height on Cinder, and strength to match. Cinder felt a cool piece of metal next to her temple—a laser, the 22nd century version of a gun.

Most of the other guests in Carvers fled for the doors, though a few stayed to watch, most likely so they could break the news of any additional incidents or deaths. The first person to break a story could stand to gain a lot of Clout, and even the second and third stories could get a tenth of the overall views each, which was nothing to scoff at.

Nahum should have run for the doors, like the other guests, but instead he ran straight toward Cinder.

“No!” she shouted, but it was too late—three armed Carvers aimed their lasers at Nahum’s heart. The lasers hit him with disturbing silence; he seized, clutching his chest, then fell to the ground face first, just like he had in Cinder’s dream.

She cried out—she had never meant for this to happen, never meant for Smolder to win her mercy and kindness, never meant to blow her cover to Declan. She felt stupid and useless and not at all cut out for Silicon City or the Socialpunks. Nahum was badly injured, she was captured, and Nasser, Vaughn, and Ember would probably get caught too. Who knew what would happen to them? At least the Carvers didn’t know her and would maybe go easier on her for her first offense. But Declan hated the other three.

Smolder kept her close, next to her chest. She pressed her lips into Cinder’s hair and mumbled into her ear. “Hit me and run.”

“What?” Cinder didn’t understand, couldn’t interpret her words, even with a lightning fast computer chip hooked into her brain.

“Hit me and run,” Smolder said insistently. Cinder stood there, dumbfounded. Smolder thrust her laser into her palm and screamed out, “Ugh!” She clutched her side in agony, like Cinder had elbowed her.

Cinder, finally waking up to the fact that Smolder was trying to help her, rushed forward, laser in hand. A flash of light burned into her arm and she ducked behind a booth. She pressed her fingers to her injury to stop the blood from spilling. The Carvers could use a single drop of her blood to find out the truth about her true identity, if they wanted. She may never spy for the Socialpunks again, but she could at least protect one of their secrets.

In less than a second, Cinder’s mind examined the layout of the restaurant. Her mind told her that lasers didn’t typically kill, unless several hit a vital organ at the same time. Nahum had a 27% chance of still being alive. She knew she couldn’t leave without him, even if she ended up risking her life and rescuing a corpse. She wouldn’t leave him. She had three Carvers to her left and two to her right, surrounding her. Smolder had rushed to the restroom in fake agony and Declan was searching for Nasser. But there could still be other Carvers in the back rooms, and they could arrive any minute.

“Come out!” one of the Carvers told Cinder. “You’re outnumbered and we have more coming.”

Cinder weighed her options; she could fight through the Carvers and most likely die, or she could lay down her laser and give herself up. If she did the latter, they might let her help Nahum recover. They’d be prisoners, but they’d be alive.

Just as she had gathered her strength to surrender, a warm hand touched her back and caused her to jump. “It’s just me,” Vaughn said, squatting down beside her.