Socialpunk (Socialpunk #1) ~ Backtrack (Chapter 29)

That evening at the Socialpunk lair had been restful and uneventful, the calm before the storm. Cinder and Nasser had stayed up late, plotting strategy for both the black chip drop and rescuing Dash, while Vaughn and Ember hid away in one of the tents. The next morning Vaughn seemed a bit cheerier toward Cinder, which lasted through the moments when they parted with the others and headed back to the training facility.

Cinder had climbed up the wall to the training facility with hardly any trouble, and no fear of heights. When she reached the top, Silicon City surprised her with how different it looked through her bionics, like the difference between a movie and a black and white photo. The city came alive, and for the first time, Cinder realized how the upgraded people could be so terrified of degeneration. It would be like watching a rose’s bloom shrivel, watching the color drain from someone’s face, watching the world fade away into nothing. Degeneration would feel like a slow, painful death.

They boarded the elevator to the training facility at its highest point, on the 245th floor. The doors of the elevator shut and the elevator plummeted. Cinder shivered, and Vaughn wrapped his hand around the outside of hers to stop it from trembling.

“You’ve got this,” Vaughn whispered.

The elevator doors opened and they stepped out to the hallway with the transactors. She took a deep breath, keeping in mind that the machines also recorded other vital signs like body heat and pulse. It was part of the fingerprint security—a guilty person would be outside the normal ranges. She pressed her finger to the screen and held her breath.

The screen lit up and a cool woman’s voice came from the transactor. “Please leave all personal belongings in the lockers.”

With a sign of relief, Cinder entered the locker rooms and found her locker. She noticed a man’s naked butt walk past and remembered with clarity that the locker rooms were co-ed. She took another deep breath and pretended she was someone else, someone who had grown up in 2198, someone who didn’t care about gender separation in semi-public areas. She undressed and pulled an elegant, red gown from the locker.

“Good, you made it.”

Cinder jumped and whipped around, pressing her arms against her chest. Vaughn leaned against the lockers opposite from hers wearing a white tux with red accents that matched the color of her dress.

“A little privacy?” she said between her teeth, so no one else would hear.

Vaughn raised his eyebrows. “Modest, are we?”

“Just nervous.” Cinder slipped her legs into the gown and lifted the hair from her neck. “Can you zip me?”

Vaughn’s fingers grazed the small of her back gently, moving the zipper upwards.

Cinder grabbed the red heels and the small purse that held gloves and jewelry. They entered the platform and stood in line for a representative to brief them individually. There were 12 testers total, and each of the testers wore lavish clothes fit for a gala. Cinder just wasn’t sure what kind of gala it might be, since few people in The Dome could afford such beautiful clothing.

When it was Cinder’s turn, she stepped into the briefing room.

A woman in a white suit greeted her. The woman had long brown hair and no physical alterations, not even muscles—she looked quite normal, like someone from The Dome. Behind the woman stood Alazar Wrightwood himself, with his violently green hair and snake-like eyes. “Tester #6,” the woman said. “You’ve been assigned to distribution detail.” She handed Cinder a small, cinched pouch. “Just a few sprinkles in everyone’s drink will do. Please note that you will not be able to send communications to anyone outside the VR while inside, not even the testing facility.” The woman held out a small tablet. “This waiver says that you understand the risks of this mission include getting stuck in the VR, which will eventually lead to your death. We will guide you through your mission with informational updates, but you will not be able to contact us if you get into trouble. Sign here.”