01 - A Bump in the Road

Two weeks prior

~~~ Leah's POV ~~~

The repulsive plump human before me begs for his life. He invokes his wife's name and the number of children he has, going the length to tell me how his twin girls were starting elementary school and his oldest, his golden boy, was starting senior year next month. I wonder if they know the kind of man he is. They are better off without him.

"Stealing from the operatives was a bold move," I acknowledge the man's audacity to temper with the operatives' assets, "did you think you could steal millions in weaponry without them ever finding out?" His attempts to soften my stone-cold heart are in vain. I am a contracted killing machine, well more like commanded.

"Noir, you have to see this!" JP shouts from behind the cappuccino finish classic office desk. I walk over, lean over his shoulder and take in videos he put to play. Although the computer speakers were turned off, you could still hear the victims' pleas in your soul. They made my blood boil. "So sick it makes me cringe," JP says with his hand muffling his words. "We came here to wipe the files. We can submit an anonymous USB drive to the authorities and let them deal with it. Let's just leave." He advised, but I couldn't, not after what I had seen.

"No. I will deal it." I say, using the back of his chair to straighten up. My steps are short and ferocious. Without hesitation, I grip the human's greasy hair, and I drag him to the center of the room, using my lyncan strength. An expensive Persian red rug decorates the floor beneath us.

"I'll give it back. Please, I was trying to protect my family. Spare me." He pleas, rubbing his hands in front of his lowered head as soon as I let him go.

"Noir, don't. We can't screw this up. Stick to the plan." JP reminds me, his hand tugging my upper arm. "Whatever this is, wasn't part of it." He warns.

Indeed, we had a plan. Infiltrate the evening gathering, seduce Mayor Hendrix, have him lead you to his office. Then sneak JP in so he can hack the bank accounts, find the stolen weapons, transfer the operative's money and move out. But the videos left a dent in the plan. The still-missing weapons weren't the trigger to my bubbling rage. The countless female werenettes he abused, tortured, and raped were the main reason I wouldn't have remorse for my new plan.

"Bruno," we never use our real name while on a mission, "I will meet you at the rendezvous point." He sighs at my words, but does as I instruct, climbing down the window. I take my silver dagger through my black dress skirt slit from its thigh holder. "Where were we, Mayor? Ah! Yes. Tell me, did their cries turn you on? Or was it their begging?" Crouching down, I grip his hair and place the blade's pointy tip under his chin. His eyes widened in horror. "Oh, I know all your little secrets, Mayor Hendrix. I am sure the people of Chesterfield would love to know them too. You brought this upon yourself. Any last words?" I stand up.

"Go die in hell werenette." He spits before me.

Walking behind him, I grip his hair, extend his head backward, slicing his throat open in a swift motion. "I shall see you there, then." His hands try to stop the squirting blood helplessly, but his body collapses in a matter of seconds.

I clean the blade of my dagger on his black tuxedo jacket, returning it to the thigh holder. The operatives will certainly punish me for my actions today, but at least those poor souls can rest now. Maybe I may come across as a cold heart person, and that's because I am. Everything within me is genetically modified to kill; that's why the operatives always send me to do their dirty work.

Grabbing my black swan mask, I exit the office and address the guards outside. "The mayor is indisposed and would like no one to bother him." They nod, never leaving their post. Elegantly moving through the corridors down to where the mascaraed ball was still going, I look for my master. Usually, a werenette's master is a human. However, mine is a Lyncan like me. But don't be fooled, Isaac Barlowe might be a lyncan, but his mind is as sick as any human operatives above him.